Execution of a King.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Execution of a King.

Post  Lisa Ella Humenberger on Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:18 pm

King Louis XVI was the king of France. At a very young age, he was elected to be king since his father had died. Only being 15, he had an arranged marriage to Marie Antoinette who was 14. France's alliances with Austria had pulled France into the Seven Years War against Britain. When Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette got married, the people disliked the allience between France and Austria, so she was known to be an unwelcomed stranger. You can say that he wasnt a verx good king. He got France into a big debt because he wasted so much money on his Palace. He would pay fortunes for his fountains in his garden. Also Marie spent alot of money on expensive clothing and hairstyles. Meanwhile, people were on the streets starving because they didnt even have enough money to buy bread. A foolish quote of Marie was "Let them eat cake," shows how ignorent she was. King Louis XVI was loved by his people, but the hate towards the National Assembly increased a discontent to his rule. The last thing he could do was to escape from France, but before they could cross the border, they were caught. Peoples opinions were slowly going agaisnt him.

He awakes one morning and after helped being dressed, he tells his confessions to the priest and receives his communion. He avoided his farewell scene with his family and tells the prist his last wishes: his seal is to go to the Dauphin and his wedding ring to Marie Antoinette. A green carriage was waiting for him and he and the priest get in. Two military men sitting opposite from them. What seemed like an hour, finally at 10 oclock, the carriage arrived in the Revolution Square, where King Louis XVI was guillotined. His last word were " I die innocent of all the crimes laid to my charge; I pardon those who have occasioned my death; and I pray to God that the blood you are going to shed may never be visited on France" ( History text book, pg.177). He was going to continue when a man on horse back suddenly appeared and with a cry, ordered the drums to beat. Many voices where heard which was encouraging the executioners. Then they dragged the king underneigh the guillotine, and with a blink of an eye, dropped the axe. A eighteen year old guard then held up the head showing it to the people as they shouted "Vive la Republique!" which meant Long live the republic. Marie was guillotined on October on the same year, being the first victim of the Reign of Terror.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_of_Louis_XVI and the History text book pg. 177.
Lisa Ella Humenberger
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum