The first voyage around the world

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The first voyage around the world

Post  Reny P. on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Ferdinand Magellan was a Portuguese explorer and navigator. Around the age of 20 he was already sailing at sea. He always helped Portugal in their expeditions. One day the Portuguese sailed to the islands of the species, but Magellan was not included. So when his friend told him about the journey, Magellan was so interested that he decided to sail to the islands of species, but using a different route. The king of Portugal, did not allow him to go on this trip. So he asked the King of Spain, whom he provided 5 ships with 250. Magellan was captain of the Trinidad, the rest were called the Victoria, San Antonio, Conception and Santiago. After a year as they crossed the Atlantic Ocean, they stopped in South America to pass the winter. That's when Santiago was destroyed by a storm. Finally they found a strait which crossed into another sea. Magellan named it "The Strait of Magellan" and the sea was named "Pacific Ocean" because of its calm waters. As more days passed, many more people died from scurvy. The trip was so dangerous that San Antonio decided to return to Spain.

Finally when they arrived to the Philippines, Magellan was killed. He was involved in a fight with the natives of the island, he was stabbed in his hear with an arrow. After his death not many were left, only 110 people. So they abandoned the Conception. When the Trinidad tried to return to Spain, the Portuguese forced them to return to the Spice Islands so they could be imprisoned. There was only one ship left, the Victoria, which arrived to Spain with only 18 people. This was the first trip to circumnavigate the world, and it was completed in 1552.
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: The first voyage around the world

Post  angie m on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:14 am

After Magellan died, Juan Sebastian Elcano took command of the expedition. ELcano did not now how to return to Spain through the Pacific ocean, so he decided to navigate west bordering Africa in hope to find land. In 1552 they returned to Spain and the kin Charles I gave Sebastian Elcano a wold sphere that said Primus circumdedisti me , which ment: you went around me first.
angie m
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Hristo on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I don't think that Magellan's decision to go around the world was right. I don't think that his desire to prove that he can go around worths the lives of more than 200 sailors.
Hristo
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum