Virtual World vs Reality

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Virtual World vs Reality

Post  Reny P. on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm

What do you prefer? Reality or Fantasy?

Lately our generation has been spending to much time on the internet. Our phones and Ipods even have access to internet. A lot of kids, teens, and even grown ups play internet games, such as World of War craft (WoW), Runescape, Second life, and Imvu.
Second life, is a name that clearly tells you its not reality. People get so addicted to their virtual world and virtual relationships that they don't even pay attention to their own lives anymore. Online dating site are an example of virtual relationships. I personally find it stupid that people try finding love through a computer. You never know if that's a 60 year old pedophile you are talking to! Even worse, people can find your location and stalk you! So for your own safety, don't post to much information on the web. On the other hand, i believe that facebook is still a good thing. Its not really a second life, because you have all your friends on it and family too! Unless some creeper adds you, then you shouldn't accept them, because you never know who they really are.

Do you guys believe that everyone should have a second life? Do you think its right having relationship over a computer with someone you have never met?? Does facebook count as a second life?
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeria Kamenetska on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:45 pm

What you're saying is true (especially about the creepers) , now we spend a lot of time on the computer , some people are addicted. I think a person shouldn't spend a lot of time on the computer, since it's good only in limited things. People have to enjoy more their real life. Facebook is good as long as you use it to communicate with people you know.

Valeria Kamenetska
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Re: Virtual World vs Reality

Post  Hristo on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Unfortuantely, you're right Reny. Lately we're spending way too much time on internet, playing games or facebooking. People should not spent that much time on internet. We should go out and enjoy our lives. I think that second life is for troubled little kids that are so bored and disturbed in their real life that they need a substitute one to help them run away from their everyday problems.
I don't think that having a relationship over computer with someone that you have never met is right. You never know who's on the other side. And yes, you should never give too much personal information on websites.
No, facebook doesn't count as a second life. It's a place to communicate with friends. exchange photos, and other fun stuff that should not be like second life.
Hristo
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:17 pm

The internet is a great thing. We use it for communication, work, school, play and everything else you can think of. I think you are all looking to the extreme cases. so we spend to much on the internet, but it is not all mindlessness. The internet is a great thing packed full with information on anything you could possibly think of.
Nathan
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  angie m on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Internet has pro's and con's. The pro's are that we can use it to find information, communicate with other people or relatives who do not live in the same country and maybe distract ourselves just looking up stuff. On the other hand if we start spending too much time in the computer, it becomes a problem. everything in excess is bad, including the internet.
angie m
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Gian Antonio on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:56 pm

Reny I really like how you brought this up, because it is a very interesting thing to talk about. This has too sides, online games are good for entertainment but as you mentioned people have taken them too far making them their life styles, which is wrong. In terms of dating online it is something people choose to do, from my personal perspective its negative because you never know who you are talking to or giving personal information to. Fantasy life is one many live, they see everything as a game or site because that is all they do. Everything in excess is bad.

Gian Antonio
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  peter on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Personally, I think you have to be a real loser to have a relationship over a computer with someone you have never met. Everyone knows there is the possibility of that person being not who you think it is. Stalkers may find some pictures from Google, Post them on their profile pictures and convince everyone that you are them. Which is like having a second life but being someone who your not, Usually someone better looking but really, your not being realistic so accept who you are and accept reality. Facebook is definitely an exception because there, you are not being someone who you're not and you have real friends, which you know are real, unless, like you said, you add creeps which have no mutual friends and are trying to accept you into "their" second life.
peter
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

http://www.facebook.com/peterknof

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: