The Leviathan

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Leviathan

Post  Lisa Ella Humenberger on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:03 pm

The Leviathan was a book written by Thomas Hobbes. In it he argues that people were naturally cruel, greedy, and selfish. If they were not controlled by society, then people would rob, fight, and oppress one anther. Life in the "State of nature" also meaning no laws or a force of control, life would basically be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. This book was published in 1651 and was titled after the biblical Leviathan, which was a giant sea monster mentioned in the bible. The book was written during the English Civil War, and is considered to be one of the most profoundly influential works of political thought ever written.

In Leviathan, Hobbes states that people entered a "social contract", which was an agreement by which people gave up their state of nature for an organized government. An absolute monarchy, he thought, was the best was to govern over the people. Hobbes also believed that equal justice includes the equal imposition of taxes. He also supported public support for those unable to maintain themselves by labor. This would maybe be funded by taxation. He gave right to public encouragement of works of navigation to usefully to give the poor, who could work, a job.

Do you think an Absolute Monarchy was the best way to reign?

Lisa Ella Humenberger
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: The Leviathan

Post  Shannon A on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Thomas Hobbes was an interesting human being, from what we have read. Although many people argued against his opinions, he did raise some very interesting questions and points. I believe an Absolute Monarchy isn't the best form of government, forced order doesn't always work. However, he is right to say humans are naturally rude, in a state where no authority figure is present, evil provails. Without order, our animal insticts take over.

Shannon A
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Valeria Kamenetska on Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:36 pm

I support of Thomas Hobbes' ideas , but not all of them. I think his ideas about social contract and natural state of humans are right. I think an absolute monarchy is not the best kind of government since one person has all the power. This person can control everybody else but can't be contorled. That is kind of disbalance.

Valeria Kamenetska
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Hobbes & Locke

Post  Reny P. on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm

I consider Thomas Hobbes a smart man. I agree with most of ideas, except the one that says all people are born cruel. Some people are naturally evil, others are good. Sometimes society corrupts good and make people evil. That's why i agree that humans should be controlled, or else we would become savages. There would be a lot of crimes made, evil would go wild and attack good. On the other hand, i agree with Locke, if the government doesn't do its job ( controlling us so that we dont become savages) then we should have the power to over throw it. Unlike Hobbes, Locked didn't agree with absolute monarchy, neither do I.
Reny P.
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Paola fix on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Maybe at sometime Absolute monarchy would work but i don't think people would like it if it was a choice for a long period. I agree with Hobbes idea that people at the age that they can think, become cruel if not controlled by the society because without this control people would have the right to do anything, and this would definitely lead to a chaos, to keep everything organized there has to be a certain government. Smile)
Paola fix
Graduate
Graduate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum