HISTORY OF CHESS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HISTORY OF CHESS

Post  Vasilisa on Mon May 04, 2015 10:44 pm

This year for my birthday I got chess. Today while I was playing I was wondering where the game came from and how people came up with an idea of how each piece moves?
As I did my research, the origins of the game are undefined however the theories are that they came from and Indian game called Chaturanga. Chaturanga is thought to be the first board game that had squares on it as well as used different kinds of pieces. The word Chaturanga translates as “four division”.
The actual game and its rules came from the Persians were it was called Shatranj. As the game has evolved, the rules began to change. For example when the person’s king is in danger the Persians said “Shah” that stands for king, and when the person lost they said “Shah mat” that meant that the king was helpless, on english it would be checkmate. On Russian now a days we still say shah mat and its really interesting how from so long ago some things got passed on to different cultures and now thats a slavic way of saying checkmate.
As years passed the game got more developed in different ways. The most similar way to how we play now was developed in Europe the 11th century. However the names of the pieces and the rules became official all around the world in 15th century.
I really find this game fascinating. It makes you think about different strategies but at the same time you have to defend your king. This game was played a lot in the past generations and now people moved onto computers and video games. As I grew up I loved board games and cards. I am not a good player, not even close but I really enjoy it and will improve in the future.

What is your favorite piece from chess and why?

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Re: HISTORY OF CHESS

Post  Mira W. on Tue May 05, 2015 12:01 pm

Awesome topic! (And Happy Birthday <3) I love the Queen, because it is the most powerful player. I find it interesting - from a feminist point of view - how the King is basically the weakest character, while the Queen is the opposite. In Hungarian, we say "Sakk matt" when we win, which basically sounds the same as in Russian. Keep up the good work!
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum