Industrial Revolution DBQ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Industrial Revolution DBQ

Post  Joshua T on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Guiding Question: Access the validity of the following statement: The benefits of the economic and technological advances gained during the Industrial Revolution justify the ill treatment of workers during the time period. Use at least TWO of the following documents as evidence for arguing for/against this claim.

The Industrial Revolution took place between 1760-1840. The Industrial Revolution began in Great Britain, and spread to Western Europe and North America within a few decades. The Industrial Revolution began in Great Britain because of resources, new technologies, economic conditions, and political/social conditions. During the Industrial Revolution there were changes in the textile industry. The first factories were also built. The Industrial Revolution was a huge turning point in history due to the fact that there were so many technological advancements.

I believe that the benefits of the economic and technological advances gained during the Industrial Revolution does not justify the ill treatment of workers during this time period.

DOCUMENT 1: Testimony of Matthew Crabtree, 22 year-old called to testify before the Sadler Committee about his experiences as a child laborer in an English factory.
During the Industrial Revolution, thousands of people died because they were abused. They were severely beaten. Some of the people that where beaten ended up injured or dead. “What was the consequence if you had been too late? I was most commonly beaten. Severely? Very severely, I thought.” In this quote, Matthew Crabtree testifies that the workers that weren't on time or weren't doing their job correctly, were severely beaten. “So that you can hardly be in a mill without hearing constant crying? Never an hour, I believe.” In this quote, Matthew Crabtree states that people were being severely beaten constantly and that it was very rare to not hear the screams of the people being beaten for more than one hour.

DOCUMENT 4: Excerpt from The Manufacturing Population of England (1833) by P. Gaskell, a medical observer
During the Industrial Revolution there was a lot of abusive child labor. Children were forced to work long days full of hard work. If they weren't doing their jobs correctly they would be severely beaten. “Cooped up in a heated atmosphere, debarred the necessary exercise, remaining in one position for a series of hours, one set or system of muscles alone called into activity, it cannot be wondered at – that its effects are injurious to the physical growth of a child.” In this quote, P. Gaskell describes that these children would work in terrible conditions. The jobs that these kids were responsible for, would ruin their bodies. They wouldn't grow to become the healthy children that they were meant to be. All this hard and abusive work would deteriorate their bodies at a very young age. This would affect them later on in life.

At the end of the day, I ask myself the same question. “Did the benefits of the economic and technological advances gained during the Industrial Revolution justify the ill treatment of workers during the time period.?” Absolutely not! I believe that the Industrial Revolution could have been done in a much more peaceful way. I also believe that if the Industrial Revolution was done in a much more peaceful way, there would have been even greater advancements than if it was not peaceful.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Industrial Revolution DBQ

Post  Mira W. on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:45 pm

That is exactly what I thought. It was necessary for society to develop, and such, but it could have been done in a much more peaceful way. Children - and adults - most certainly did not deserve to die because the people in power were too greedy to reinvest some of their profits to guarantee safe working conditions. Great work!
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Reading about the negative sides of the Industrial Revolution is truly painful because we owe most, if not all, technology to that revolution but the people suffured so much. Great DBQ response though! Smile
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum