Early Cancer History

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Early Cancer History

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Cancer begins when cells in a part of the body start to grow out of control. There are many kinds of cancer, but they all start because of out-of-control growth of (different from what's usually expected) cells.
Sixteen to Eighteenth centuries:
During the Renaissance, beginning in the 15th century, scientists developed greater understanding of the human body. Scientists like Galileo and Newton began to use the scientific method, which later was used to study disease. (medical procedures to figure out the cause of death), done by Harvey (1628), led to an understanding of the circulation of blood through the heart and body that had until then been a mystery.
In 1761, Giovanni Morgagni of Padua was the first to do something which has become common/become a habit today - he did (medical procedures to figure out the cause of death) to relate the patient's illness to pathologic findings after death. This laid the foundation for scientific cancer-related medical care, the study of cancer.
The famous Scottish surgeon John Hunter (1728-1793) suggested that some cancers might be cured by surgery and described how the surgeon might decide which cancers to operate on. If the tumor had not (suddenly entered a place in an unwanted way) nearby tissue and was "moveable," he said, "There is no improper behavior in removing it."
A century later the development of (drugs that cause numbness or unconsciousness) allowed surgery to wave/grow/decoration and classic cancer operations such as the radical (breast removal) were developed.

Super interesting website under, so many details!
Read more at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002048-pdf.pdf
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Re: Early Cancer History

Post  Mira W. on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Wow, that is such an interesting topic! I have never actually thought about the way medicine has developed throughout history. It is, however, very sad that there is no "cure" yet, and every year millions of people die from cancer. (Nearly 8 million people lose their lives each year...) Loved your post, Sarah Smile
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Cancer

Post  Joshua T on Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Cancer is a deadly disease. My aunt died from it. More than 8 million people die from cancer every year. More than that are diagnosed. Cancer leads to a slow and painful death full of suffering.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

cancer

Post  Gloria H. on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 pm

cancer is such a terrible thing, both my grandma and my aunt suffered from cancer. i hope they find a cure to it soon, because tip now it is treatable but no really curable.

Gloria H.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:31 pm

It is sad that cancer and other disease exist. However do you believe that if the medicine was never invented to the simple disease like cold, then cancer would have never evolved? The more we come up with the medicine the stronger our disease become and the stronger the medicine has to be to now kill it; its like a never ending cycle.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum