Italian Language History

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Italian Language History

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Language-related speaking, the Italian language is a member of the Romance group of the Italic subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages. It is spoken mostly in the Italian peninsula, southern Switzerland, San Marino, Sicily, Corsica, northern Sardinia, and on the northeastern shore of the Adriatic Sea, as well as in North and South America. Considered a single language with many (different versions of a language), Italian, like the other Romance languages, is the direct children/child of the Latin spoken by the Romans and (forced (on people)/caused an inconvenient situation) by them on the peoples under their rule. Of all the major Romance languages, Italian keeps/holds the closest similarity to Latin. The struggle between the written but dead language and the different forms of the living speech, most of which were came/coming from Low-class and offensive Latin, was nowhere so intense or so lengthy (or lengthened) as in Italy.
If an Italian speaker, like myself, has a conversation with any person with a dialect accent, I will not understand a word that person is saying. The italian language has many easy root words that connects with French and Spanish, however, their hundreds of dialects are the hardest part. Their mixture of words and vocabulary use is very confusing to many.
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Re: Italian Language History

Post  Mira W. on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Huh, how interesting. While Hungarian is only spoken in one small country, we have several different accents as well. In fact, the country accent (spoken in the outskirts of Hungary) is very difficult for me to understand, for they have their own sayings and words that isn't used in the capitol, where I am from. Hungarian is actually directly related to Finnish, therefore the two languages have a few words in common. (Nevertheless, it doesn't make it easier for Hungarians to learn Finnish - believe me, I've tried...)
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Italian

Post  Joshua T on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:40 pm

Italian is a Romance language spoken mainly in Europe: Italy, Switzerland, San Marino, Vatican City. It is a very sophisticated language and many say it is very easy to learn.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Like Mira mentioned, English is somewhat the same in England. Everywhere has a different accent even with the higher class and lower class in the same place. It's really cool because some people can impersonate all the different British accents and tell you exactly where each one is from!
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum