Execution of Louis XVI

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Execution of Louis XVI

Post  Romane D. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:57 pm

It was in the morning of January 21st of 1793 that King Louis XVI was executed. A guillotine stood next to a damaged platform. There couldn’t possibly be one person that would be unaware of how significant this was. In total there were 20,000 people attending the execution. As the carriage arrived, silence took over the excitement of the crowd. The King was brought to the platform, where there were three executioners surrounding him and wanting to take off his coat. As Louis XVI he mounted the scaffold, he was heard saying these memorable and unforgettable words: “I die innocent of all the crimes imputed to me. I pardon that authors of my death, and pray God that the blood in you are about to shed will never fall upon France”. When the guillotine blade fell at 10:22, the monarchy had been destroyed. The executioners grabbed his head by the hair and showed it to the spectators who were screaming, “ Long live the Republic!” . This was when the Clergy began to be scared, because it meant that without the King, there was no one to protect them and the Revolution was officially becoming bigger and more successful. The Clergy and second estate were very scared because all of their things were being taken away and also a lot were being killed with the guillotine because they were against the Revolution, and who ever was against it, had to be killed. It was a very big event when the King was executed and in a way I believe that it was good because he was very unfair and most of the population in France was in misery. It was time to have a change and let the population be happy.

Do you think that it was right for them to kill the King?
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Execution of Louis XVI

Post  Vasilisa on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:18 am

Yes I think it was right because he lost all of his followers after he tried to escape like a coward.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Did you know that Marie Antoinette was only 14 years old when she married the future Louis XVI? Marie Antoinette was born an Austrian princess. There is a U.S. city is named in honor of Marie Antoinette.
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira W. on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Wow, that was an amazing post, Romane! Yes, I think it was right to kill the king. He was incapable of ruling a country, especially one in a financial crisis along with the internal war between the estates. Killing him was a necessary evil in my opinion, because unlike today, they couldn't have just pushed him out of power as he was of royal blood. However, I personally don't think his wife, Marie, should have been killed. She was not responsible for Louis' actions, yet they decapitated her as well. (Huh, I didn't know there was a city named in honor of Marie!)
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum