Child Labor -- Today

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Child Labor -- Today

Post  Mira W. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:26 am

Studying the Industrial Revolution, I was astounded at the conditions children had to work in to make a living. Unfortunately, the trend of cheap child labor is still present today. These children are not only put to risk working in terrible conditions, but are also missing out on an education, and childhood.

Roughly 246 million children are coerced to work each day, with nearly 30% under the age of 10 (1). Of these, 85 million works in hazardous conditions (2), meaning their work is dangerous, putting their mental, and/or physical safeties at risk. 22,000 children die each year while working. (1)

Every sixth child is a child laborer. These are the children that are forced to make our Abercrombie shirts and Levi jeans. I can't imagine how it must feel, having to make expensive articles of clothing, knowing I could never afford it, while many teens just like me would be wearing it. The other large issue is that many of these children were forced - literally - to work. Not because of financial situations, but because they were tricked/manipulated by adults to help them out with the promise of money, etc., and were captured to work as slaves. Commonly, if they resist, they are beat until they surrender.

These facts made me think of their physical issues, but what about their psychological development? A child needs to mature and learn about life, not sew shirts or bead leggings... My final thought: In those moments when you despise school with all your being, or are complaining about not having enough clothes? That is the moment when you should think of all children and teens dying in mines, wishing they could go to school. We should all be grateful that we even get a change to attend a school... I know that is is easy to forget; I myself forget to be grateful all the time, unfortunately. But we should all remind ourselves that even though we have gotten used to having clothes, food, being able to go to school, etc. all our lives, some aren't as lucky. (Click here to see specific examples: https://laborawareness.wordpress.com/child-labor-today/)

Citations:
(1) laborawareness.wordpress.com
(2) CNN.com
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Child Labor -- Today

Post  Romane D. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Wow Mira, this information is really shocking. I had no idea that the number of child labor was this elevated. I find it completely unfair and I strongly believe that it should be illegal. It it just horrible to see kids working in such harsh and unfair conditions. I totally agree with the fact that we should be more grateful with our lives because we are extremely lucky to receive the education that have. All the kids who are working hard out there and that are wishing for a better life, they deserve better and I really hope that it will all come to an end in the future. It is unacceptable and inhuman. Great job Miraa! Very Happy
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:40 am

Seriously this is one of the topics that politicians need to concentrate on. And the children are forced to work?! Thats crazy! And the wort is that no one does anything about it.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum