Animal Testing.. Are They Worth Your Cosmetics?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Animal Testing.. Are They Worth Your Cosmetics?

Post  Mira W. on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:52 pm

During the Industrial Revolution, human nature's cruel side made a reappearance. Factory owners became so obsessed with profit and efficiency, that they went as far as stabbing their child workers with pins when they deemed their work unsatisfactory. This lead me think of terrors going on today; they certainly are still present, but hidden from the public eye. An example of a modern day cruelty would be animal testing. Animal testing is most common in cosmetics companies, where it is now law that all products must be proven safe. It is definitely true that such products must be tested - before it was made mandatory, several women went blind after using a mascara that turned out to burn skin. (Search: "Lash Lure" for more info) However, there are many reasons why animal testing is wrong; not only ethically, but scientifically as well.

*Please note that some pictures were honestly too heartbreaking for me too post.

Animal testing helps companies ensure their products are safe, and also provides them with a backup plan in court should a customer file a complaint. The idea is acceptable, for animals and humans work in similar ways; therefore, testing on animals should help us predict human reactions, right? Wrong. Humans and animals are different species, logically leading to the conclusion that results are unreliable. In fact, when a group of doctors were asked whether or not animal testing can be misleading, 83% said yes.

Here are some facts that should be considered:
- Less than 2% of human diseases are in animals.
- 9 out of 10 drugs fail when tested by humans (after animal testing has proved it safe to use)
  + There have been serious cases when animals didn't react to certain substances, but humans had severe reactions and were admitted in hospitals
- Rodents are the most commonly used animals for testing. However, Aspirin causes birth defects in rodents, while it helps relieve pain in humans (I wonder how that was discovered...)

Facts concerning the animals themselves:
- During such tests, animals are force fed chemicals, have products rubbed into their eyes/injected into their skins (among other things)
- Often, those animals that are alive after being tested on are killed by either decapitation, breaking of neck (spine), or electrocution

If you think about it, how could animals react the same way as humans do? These lab animals are bred in laboratories, for the sole purpose of being tested on. They are held in containers, ripped from their mothers, kept solitary confinement, restrained for tests, and live overall unnatural lives. (Most never ever see sunlight, and purposefully have wounds inflicted to study healing!) Stress produces chemicals in their bodies that affect their reactions.

"Each year, more than 100 million animals—including mice, rats, frogs, dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, monkeys, fish, and birds—are killed in U.S. laboratories for biology lessons, medical training, curiosity-driven experimentation, and chemical, drug, food, and cosmetics testing." -PETA.org (Animal Experiments: Overview)

To me, the worst part is that there are alternatives. Episkin is a reproduction of skin, made with human cells. Benefits include animals not having to suffer, and the results being reliable (for it reacts just like humans). Countless universities have switched to using Episkin; however, the U.S. government has not. Interestingly, the cause is a reappearing issue for humanity: money. The switch to using Episkin probably would be costly for any country, and apparently, it is not worth it. Nevertheless America spends millions of dollars on animal testing each year, yet a little additional money can't be spent to save lives.

What are your thoughts on this? I hope I was able to convince at least most of you that animal testing is wrong and should be abolished.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Animal Testing.. Are They Worth Your Cosmetics?

Post  Romane D. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:31 pm

To be honest I think it is one of the worst things that occurs everyday in our life. I mean what's the point of doing this? Why not just do it on humans? Animals have no way of expressing or defending themselves against humans so it is completely unfair and they suffer so much from the things they do to them. This is a immense way of showing how horrible humans can be and how careless. Just like child labor, that you have written about, it should be illegal and should be abolished as soon as possible. I can't believe that humans are capable of doing such atrocities. Good job Mira! Keep it up! congratulations
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:36 am

Wow this is a really good topic. I agree that its wrong to test things on animals especially if they hardly work the same way for humans. People are so stupid sometimes.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum