Tennis Court Oath

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tennis Court Oath

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:59 am

Yesterday, the first Estates- General meeting was held since 1614. This meeting was what finalized the decision of the third estate to fight for their right. With the help of Abbe Sieyes, he gave them the courage and the reasons of why they should be fighting. He told them, foolishly, that they were everything, meaning that if we loose them, we have nothing. That all we do if sit, collect their taxes and eat. Which in our defense, is not even close to the things we do. He got them all pumped up, and we don’t blame them, they are too dull to understand.

The next morning, the third estates
bourgeois joined by peasants, marched all the way to a meeting hall in Versailles, however, the King must have heard or seen them and placed a huge lock on the door. Did he really think that would stop them and make them march back home? They paraded to the closest building that would hold all of them dirty san-cullotes, which occurred to be a covered tennis court. They unwisely invited us, the second and the third estates to hear what they had to say about our rules.

Even though what they were saying was imprudent and unreasonable, they sure did seem furious and willing to take us down. The King seemed worried which concerned us a great deal because he has control of what goes on and he can easily just change and modify the estates. The only thing we can do is do our jobs properly and hope that King Louis won’t do anything he’ll regret.

Meanwhile, the King was spotted leaving his palace and an interviewer had the delight to receive answers to a couple questions going around town.
What are you planning of doing with the third estates rebellion and demanding change? The third estate is not taking this as a joke, in fact, they have been attacking my palace and family, along with angry women marching to the outskirts of my palace demanding bread; this is not going to be an easy battle. However, they are not strong enough, they are dumb and poor, the second and third estate have been doing an excellent job. The votes kept the estates the way they are, so they must be doing something right.
Sir, please tell us your ideas or solutions you have to this chaos. I think the best way we can help all of ourselves is just wait until they get tired of fighting with no response. I, King Louis will not permit them to attack my family. Even though they came very close on killing my wife in her own master bedroom, that showed me how badly they want revenge and how easily it is for them since they are such a big part of our population.
Do you agree with what the third estate is saying? That they are everything.
No, I don’t agree with them. They are a bunch of hard working peasants, but they would never have the capability of being in second or third estate. The bourgeois of their estate are smart people, but still haven’t got enough ability nor skill to accomplish what your estates can.
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Tennis Court

Post  Joshua T on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:23 pm

At the tennis court, all three estates promised to stay debating until they have a written proposal that everyone agrees on.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Tennis Court Oath

Post  Mira W. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:23 am

Great article! I loved the interview with Louis, though he was quite pig-headed. He called the third estate incapable of being a leader, while he himself was failing as a king? That's quite hypocritical of him. Smile Good job, Sarah!
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Romane D. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:18 pm

This is an amazing topic Sarah! Something that you point out is when he puts the big locks on the door in order to not have the assembly. This shows what a coward he was and how incapable of doing things he was. I thinks it's amazing that nothing stopped the people because they still went to have the assembly somewhere else, they were fighting for what they wanted the most.
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum