Quotes from King Louis XVI!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quotes from King Louis XVI!

Post  Joshua T on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:32 pm

"First feelings are always the most natural."

"Has God forgotten all I have done for Him."

"Laws are the sovereigns of sovereigns."

"There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself."

"Every time I appoint someone to a vacant position, I make a hundred unhappy and one ungrateful."

"I could sooner reconcile all Europe than two women."

"Ah, if I were not king, I should lose my temper."

"It is legal because I wish it."

"I am the state."

"Every time I create an appointment, I create a hundred malcontents and one ingrate."

"Every time I bestow a vacant office I make a hundred discontented persons and one ingrate."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/louis_xiv.html

Out of all these quotes, which one is your favorite? Which one of these quotes do you consider to be very greedy? Which of these quotes shows that King Louis XVI has a lot of political power? Which quote do you think is supposed to scare the people of France? Which quote do you think Louis XVI shows that he doesnt care?

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Quotes from King Louis XVI!

Post  Mira W. on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:40 pm

My favorite is this one: "There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself." It's very true; someone who has control over themselves, their thoughts and emotions, is powerful. They are in control of their actions, and therefore their life.
This one shows how much power he has: "It is legal because I wish it." To me, it also seems like he wanted to scare the people of France a bit. I think he aimed to show them how he didn't even need a reason to make a law; he simply had to wish it.
I think this one is the saddest: "Every time I appoint someone to a vacant position, I make a hundred unhappy and one ungrateful." It reminds me of how bad the situation in France was; hundreds were unemployed, praying for any job.

Such a cool post! Smile
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum