The Execution of Louis XVI

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Execution of Louis XVI

Post  Joshua T on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:22 pm

King Louis XVI was executed on January 21st, 1973. His execution took place at the Place de la Revolution in Paris, France. King Louis XVI was executed by the means of the guillotine. In 1971, King Louis XVI tried to escape from France to with his family.  He was planning to escape to Austria. His plan completely failed just kilometers away from Austria. At Varennes, Louis’ carriage was stopped to get checked by a guard. The guard peeked through the window and saw Louis’ face. He held a coin a looked at the side that had Louis’ image. It was obvious; the person sitting in the carriage was the king. Varennes is a border town between France and Austria. King Louis XVI’s failed attempted to escape France is famously known as the Flight to Varennes. The guard arrested King Louis XVI and sent him back to Paris. In Paris, the jailed Louis for almost 2 years. After being jailed, he was executed.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: The Execution of Louis XVI

Post  Romane D. on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:38 pm

I think that it is good the fact that the king was executed because he was very indecisive and he made so many people miserable. The population deserved better except for the 1st and 2nd estates. I mean I really think that it was for the best, because it made the Revolution stronger and it was better for the 3rd estate. They had the right to fight for what they have always wanted specially after 160 years of feudalism and having to pay so many taxes.
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:26 am

I don't really feel bad for him since he was the one that made himself killed, although I feel bad for his wife and kids. His wife had no choice in any political things although she got killed because of that.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira W. on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Vasilisa wrote:I don't really feel bad for him since he was the one that made himself killed, although I feel bad for his wife and kids. His wife had no choice in any political things although she got killed because of that.

Great post! And I agree with Lisa -- his wife and kids didn't deserve the hate they received for being part of his family! They hadn't had any control over Louis or his actions, therefore they shouldn't have been punished. Poor Marie Antoinette, she didn't know what she was getting into when she was married to Louis. Their story is tragic, but I am glad that is sends an important message: arranged marriages most certainly do not mean it will be beneficial for both families. Imagine having your spouse assigned to you by your parents when you're a toddler!
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum