Napoleon Bonaparte

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Napoleon Bonaparte

Post  Romane D. on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Napoleon Bonaparte took a really important role in the French Revolution. He was the one that put an end to it when he came to power in 1799. He was born is 1769 in Corsica. When he completed his studies, he became a lieutenant in the French army. He read what French philosophers had to say about reason, when there were revolutions and wars occurring in Europe, he had many opportunities to show and use his skills and knowledge.

He took part in the coup d'├ętat of 1799 that overthrew the Directory and set up a new government. The new government that was installed was called the consulate which put Napoleon as first consul in control of the entire government. In 1802 he was made consul for life, two years later he crowned himself Emperor Napoleon I. One of the first things that he took care of was establishing peace with the Catholic Church. He had an agreement with the pope which recognized Catholicism as the religion of a majority of the French people.

One of the most known and important accomplishment of Napoleon was to codify the laws. Seven law codes were created but the most important was the Civil code/Napoleonic code. It included: equality for all citizens before the law, the of the individual to choose a profession, religious toleration, and the abolition of serfdom and feudal obligation.

Have you ever heard about Napoleon? If so, what do you know about him, or what are some facts that you can tell me about him?
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Napoleon

Post  Joshua T on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Romane great topic! If I am not mistaken... Napoleon Bonaparte ended the French Revolution. Am i right?

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum