Thoughts of a Third Estate Woman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thoughts of a Third Estate Woman

Post  Mira W. on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:16 pm

1788, December 3

A shiver racks through me as the cold, harsh wind slaps against my face. The snow crunches under my feet, and I realize I've lost feeling in my toes. I sigh tiredly, a white cloud appearing in front of me, knowing my feet will be purple by the time I get home. At the thought of home my children come to my mind. I picture their excited faces as I take home the loaf of bread tonight, and a weak smile tugs at my frozen lips. Friday is the day they don’t go to bed hungry, and I’m eternally thankful for it. I know dear Celeste Caillard’s children get to eat bread only once a month… My week’s pay is tucked safely in the band of my skirt, and I have to stifle the urge to place my hands there to ensure I still have it. If anyone realized I was carrying money, I would surely lose it. One can’t be too careful on the streets these days; just yesterday I saw a poor young woman being robbed of her coat. We are all suffering, from hunger, from the cold.

Pulling my thin jacket tighter around myself, I have to blink against the heavy snow. The soft light of the bakery reaches my eyes and a tiny flicker of happiness flares in my heart. I block out the chaotic yells of despair around me, sounds which have become permanent on the streets ever since winter struck. As that though crosses my mind, I come to a slow halt. This is what has become of us, while the other estates are sitting next to their marble fireplaces, heat radiating off the fire, food cooking in the background. They are prancing around in their frilly dresses and ball gowns as we fight to survive every single day.

I enter the shop, and walk slowly to the back. There are people guarding the doors to make sure the bread isn't stolen. I subtly show them the money, and I’m let through. When the scent of warm bread hits my senses I can’t stop my stomach from grumbling. It has been too long since I've had proper solid food. Little pinpricks of pain shoot up my fingers, having been exposed to warm air too suddenly. Never mind all that; I take the warm loaf with trembling hands and hide it in under my jacket. It is small enough to not be noticeable, but when I leave the store I still pretend to stumble, hoping to give the impression that I had been thrown out without any bread. Swiftly, I start walking towards my home.

When I enter the alley that leads directly to my house, I see a moving dark shadow near me. Panic sets in and I clutch my arms even closer around myself. My strides are more hurried but I don’t run - that is a clear sign of having either food or money. Two men appear, dirty and stick-thin. A gush of wind ruffles their shirts and I can easily see their protruding ribs, but that is a common sigh these days. How they have survived this cold I don’t know, but all I can focus on is getting away. I attempt to run but I slip of a block of ice, the bread now apparent under my jacket. They swiftly grab it and run as tears run down my cheeks. I cry out in defeat, knowing a week’s worth of work has just been taken. I don't even attempt to chase after them, for I know I will only waste what little energy I have left. The wet trails freeze on my cheeks and I stand up, rage boiling inside me. This is my life – full of suffering, from hunger, from the cold, while the nobles are feeding themselves and their children. My ragged breaths come out in puffs as another sob fights its way out of my constricted chest. While our dear royal family is stuffing themselves in their brilliant palace. I clench my fists and know, deep down, that this will change. I see the way people have a new glint in their eyes... a gleam that holds a promise. A promise that one way or another, we will make a change .. or die trying.

Last edited by Mira W. on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts of a Third Estate Woman

Post  CicelyS on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:03 pm

It's so sad to think that people actually went through experiences similar to this one. You really have a talent for writing, this is amazing! Good jobbb
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 am

I agree with Cis, you have a talent for writing. This is great! It sad how the 97% of population had to go through this, only if clergy and nobles would have shared a tiny bit of money with them.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Wow when i started to read this i thought you were citing something! Awesome post! The first and second estate were so greedy, and when the third estate asked for some changed, they ganged up and went against their idea. I can't believe this actually happened.
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum