John Locke and Thomas Hobbes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

John Locke and Thomas Hobbes

Post  Alicia M. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:44 am

Thomas Hobbes and John Locke were two English thinkers who's ideas differed on human nature, and the purpose and nature of government. Thomas Hobbes wrote Leviathan, which states that humans are naturally cruel, greedy, and selfish. He argued that we need an absolute monarchy to prevent theft, fighting, and oppressing one another. Hobbes also states that without laws, life would be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. According to his thoughts, only a powerful government could ensure an orderly society.

John Locke had a completely different point of view on human nature. In this work, the two treatises of government, locke mentions that people are naturally good, basically reasonable, and moral. He also says that humans have certain natural rights since they are born. These rights include the right to life, liberty, and property. Unlike hobbes, john rejected completely the absolute monarch, he preferred democracy because it had limited power and must be accepted by all citizens. He thought that people had the right to overthrow a government if they don't agree with the laws. Locke argued that people only formed government to protect their natural rights.
Alicia M.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Re: John Locke and Thomas Hobbes

Post  Romane D. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:59 am

It’s really hard for me to agree with one of them because they prove to amazing points. But after doing a lot of research and putting more thoughts into it, I think I would be more on Locke’s side. Because an absolute ruler wouldn’t be fair for the citizens if they don’t have a say in the government. At least with Locke the government is supposed to protect the human rights which is extremely important, and if they don’t do their job, the citizens were able to overthrow the government which is really fair. Awesome topic alicia!
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicia M. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:18 pm

I agree with you Romane, I would look more at Locke's side of viewing. One of the reasons for that is because his thoughts about overthrowing a bad government influenced many colonies around the world, such as The Americas. They didn't agree with the British government and found it unfair, so they decided to make a revolution and have their own government where everyone agreed to it.
Alicia M.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum