Class topic/ Common sense

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Class topic/ Common sense

Post  Romane D. on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:27 am

Overall, the argument of Paine in the document “Common Sense” says that America has never needed the help of England and that they should become independent. He used really strong arguments and amazing points to prove he was right. He says that it makes no sense if a country is ruling another over a continent. Especially because England was just using them for the market and they never cared about their people, so he strongly believed that they had to do something about this and be independent. Paine appeals to the readers logic mainly when he mentions facts and “common sense, and that is when people will start to realize the truth. I think he appeals to the readers heart mainly in the last paragraph when he mentions that England is just using them for money and the the colonies and that they really don’t care about them (the people). Because it’s in that moment when the people are going to realize that no one cares about them and that they are nothing for England, so they will want to stand up for themselves and become independent. I’m not sure if this would be considered as an example of a persuasive writing, but the only one that I could think of is Martin Luther King, when he gave his speech about racism and how people should fight against that. He was a great role model and has made many changes.
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Class topic/ Common sense

Post  CicelyS on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:00 am

you have a really good interpretation of his common sense essay. Personally, I feel that his arguments were very effective and this deffinitely helped the situation. Also, his writings must have influenced persuasive essay writing in modern times. Smile Great posttt
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum