November Class Topic: Elizabeth I and Philip II

View previous topic View next topic Go down

November Class Topic: Elizabeth I and Philip II

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Elizabeth I: Born on September 7, 1533 Elizabeth was the daughter Henry VIII and his one Anne Boleyn wife of the many. Anne was beheaded when Elizabeth was just two years old. Henry’s sixth wife was the one who took interest in Elizabeth and made sure she was educated to the highest standard. In 1553, Mary I, Elizabeth’s older half-sister became queen. Mary was determined to re-establish Catholicism in England and viewed the Protestant Elizabeth as a direct threat. In 1558, after the death of Mary I, Elizabeth took the throne. People see her 45-year reign as the golden age of English history. She was a smart lady whom spoke six fluent languages. Elizabeth’s first priority on becoming Queen was to return England to the Protestant faith. Elizabeth helped create a Church of England that, although Protestant allowed some of the Old Catholic traditions to continue. She didn’t want to completely stop all the traditions, which made many people like Elizabeth.
Elizabeth chose an able set of administrators to aid her during her rule, including William Cecil, Lord Burghley as her Secretary of State and Sir Francis Walsingham, in charge of intelligence. She wanted to expand in trade overseas during her reign. In 1580 Sir Francis Drake became the first Englishman to successfully circumnavigate the earth. The arts also flourished during this time, even Elizabeth went by to see the plays 25 times.
However, Elizabeth’s cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots was a strong Catholic who wanted to claim the English throne. With help, Elizabeth imprisoned Mary for 19 years. There were many conspiracies and plots against Elizabeth made by Mary but Elizabeth showed no hate against her. However, in 1586 Walsingham uncovered the Babington plot, which implicated Mary directly in a conspiracy to overthrow Elizabeth. Mary was tried for treason and executed in 1587.
The following year, a fleet of ships known as the Spanish Armada tried to overthrow Elizabeth and restore Catholism. Elizabeth united the country against this common enemy and in a famous speech she said: ‘I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king - and of a King of England too.’ Spain lost.
Elizabeth died on March 24, 1603 and was succeded by James VI who was the con of her cousin Mary, Queen of Scots.

Phillip II: King Philip II of Spain, also known as Philip the Prudent, ruled one of the world's largest empires. His reign as Spain's king began the Golden Age, a period of great cultural growth in literature, music and the visual arts. He was also the King of England through his marriage to Mary Tudor for four years. The Philippines, a former Spanish colony, are named after him. Phillip II was the king of Spain. He was born on May 21st, 1527 in Valladolid, Spain. He died on September 13th, 1598 in El Escorial, Spain. He died at the age of 71. The cause of his death was cancer. His reign of Spain started on January 16th, 1556. His reign of Spain ended on September 13th, 1598. His predecessor was Charles I. His successor was Phillip III. He was not only the king of Spain. He was also the king of Portugal and the Algarves, Naples, and England and Ireland. Phillip II was responsible for the Spanish Armada. He was a very cruel, selfish, and arrogant guy. It was his way or no way.
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum