Thomas Paine's "Common Sense"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thomas Paine's "Common Sense"

Post  Joshua T on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 pm

A) What is Paine’s overall argument? Do you think his argument is effective?
B) Discuss where Paine appeals to his reader’s logic and where he appeals to his reader’s heart. Why are both appeals important?
C) Paine's work is a persuasive argument that had an electrifying effect on the American population. Can you think of any other examples of persuasive writing that had a similar/comparable effect?

Paine's overall argument is that separatism between Great Britain and the 13 Colonies should occur no matter what. Thomas Paine attempts to justify his position by declaring that people were forcefully manipulated into believing that the British were there as their saviors and peacekeepers. In reality, they actually had no enemies. Thomas Paine’s argument is effective because most of his statements were true. He was speaking the truth and there was evidence to support it.

Paine appeals to people’s logic when he says, “It is right that we should examine the contrary side of the argument, and inquire into some of the many material injuries which these colonies sustain and always will sustain by being connected with and dependent on Great Britain.” Thomas Paine appeals to the heart when he says, “We may as well assert that because a child has thrived upon milk that it is never to have meat.” Both appeals are important because psychologically people are different and respond to different styles of persuasion.

The “I Have a Dream” speech by Martin Luther King Junior was one of the most persuasive public speeches in recent American history. It is a perfect example of a persuasive piece that deeply showed the American divide of the subject of racism. His followers were totally in awe and given confidence by his insightful words. His opponents however, were totally furious because they knew this was a turning point in their culture inaugurated by an African American. The opponents also realized that their lives would no longer be the same.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Thomas Paine's "Common Sense"

Post  Vasilisa on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I love the way he worded the document. It had some really important facts and comparisons that allowed us to understand it better. The emotional parts made me want to fight for the independence of the 13 colonies.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Romane D. on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:06 am

Thomas Paine was completely right with his arguments because they were true and not fair!! I think it is one of the hardest things to do in life, to be able to stand up, not only for yourself but for everybody else from the nation. The fact that he appeals to the readers logic and feelings help a lot to prove his points and it makes more people want to be with him and support him. It is funny Joshua because I also used Martin Luther King Jr as an example, because he was such an incredible man and even one of the most courageous person that I have ever heard. Your answers were really interesting! Great work joshhhh. Very Happy
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum