Common Sense

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Common Sense

Post  Belinda K. on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 pm

a.) what is Paine's overall argument? Do you think his argument is effective?
Paine's overall argument is to give faith for the people to fight for their country and be free from the britains. He wanted people to see the truth burried under every lie
the britains have told them and to show that they are strong enough to beat them. This argument was very effective because it gave faith to people, it made them feel the fire
inside of them to fight for their country and to be free at last and o not be lied to anymore.

b.) Discuss where Paine appeals to his reader's logic and where he appeals to his reader's heart. Why are both appeals important?
Most of the time its just motivation you need to accomplish what you want and this speech that Paine created was enough motivation for a population of people in America. I
suspect that Paine had a good connection with the people and he wanted the best for everyone and himself and in order to do that he had to motivate them in a way that he could
connect with them, to make them feel the way he felt. He made them think very deeply so they can see that the British kingdom was only using the American land for their goods
to be wealthy and that they didn't care about them. It's good that he used his logic and a way to connect with his people because it shows that he was a good leader, someone
that everyone could trust.

c.)Paine's work is a persuasive argument that had an electrifying effect on the American population. Can you think of any other examples of persuasive writing that has a
similar/comparable effect?
No i can't.

Belinda K.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Common Sense

Post  Mira W. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Smile People seem to be having trouble finding piece of writing that had similar influence. The one I could think of was Martin Luther's 95 theses. That certainly had an impact on society, and history as a whole.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:16 am

In regards to Mira's response, I think that her example would work very well. It's true that many people are having diffuclty to find a similar piece. To me, this is due to the fact that writing has become less formal and intellectual since the days in which Common Sense was written, and not many people read very historical wirtings anymore. It's quite sad, as these primary sources hold lots of information of the past.
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum