Hobbes and Locke

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hobbes and Locke

Post  Romane D. on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 am

John Locke and Thomas Hobbes completely disagreed on the nature of humans and the purpose of government. John Locke believe that humans were naturally good, reasonable, and that had natural rights from birth. On the other hand, Thomas Hobbes believed in something completely different. He believed that without law or government we will be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and have a shorter life. Thomas Hobbes published a political work called Leviathan, by publishing it his goal was to deal with the problem of disorder. I a way he is right because we need laws and rules for things to be organized, because if we didn’t have any people would fight for it; all people want is power so they will fight for it and it will all be a huge mess. Meanwhile, John Locke published Two Treaties of Government. He was against government and he was against the absolute ruler of one person. I agree with him on that one because it is better to have a democracy in which people have the right to vote and express themselves to choose their leaders. Though there is a point that isn’t fair, Locke wanted a democracy in which only the rich people could vote, it wasn’t fair for the poor people.

What do you think about the two beliefs and which one do you prefer?
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Hobbes and Locke

Post  Mira W. on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:10 pm

I definitely agree with John Locke. However, while I don't believe that humans need dictatorship, I don't believe we were born solely with morals and good in us, either. I think we have both good and bad tendencies - we can be cruel and disorderly as Hobbes said, but as can also be respectable and peaceful as Locke mentioned. It depends on the way we were raised, the way the world has affected us, and the choices we make that determine whether we lean towards our good, or bad traits. I believe we decide for ourselves whether we live as the humans John described, or the ones that require an absolute monarch. Some might have been raised terribly, but once we reach a certain level of maturity we do have the ability to change and become better people.

It is interesting to see how the revolution in America was based on John Locke's theories. As Thomas Paine said:
"That government is best which governs least," and "Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil."
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

both of them

Post  Gloria H. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:26 pm

I feel both of them have a right idea but could have been combined to be perfect.

Thomas: its true we do need some type of rule, as in laws but people were not born nasty and greedy they were raised like that.
John: i believe he was right, people were born with rights

Gloria H.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: Hobbes and Locke

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: