John Locke and Thomas Hobbes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

John Locke and Thomas Hobbes

Post  CicelyS on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:55 am

During the Enlightenment in the 1600's, John Locke and Thomas Hobbes began to speak out about their opinions of human nature and the best from of government. They had conflicting ideas about these two subjects. Thomas Hobbes thought that humans were all born evil and brutal. He wrote about this subject in his book Leviathan. Because of his thoughts on human nature, he theorized that Absolute Monarchy would be the way to go when it came to government. He thought that this form would be able to control humans and would be a sort of social contract. By this, I mean that the people gave up a bit of their freedom and liberty in return for civilization and a controlled government. John Locke, on the other hand, thought the opposite. He believed that all humans were born moral and good. With this, he also thought that everyone had human rights from birth. He also thought that the best form of government would be democracy. His idea was that if the people of the area had a say in their government, they would happier about the way their lifes were going. With his ideas came the thought that if the government didn't obey the human rights, then the people could have the opportunity to overthrow their government. In my opinion, I agree with mostly John Locke but I do think that humans are not always born good. Very Happy
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Re: John Locke and Thomas Hobbes

Post  ebznski on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:54 pm

I think that it is a true improvement for humans when you see people wanting to know more about us and our human nature especial for back then when we knew nothing about ourselves.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira W. on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 pm

CicelyS wrote:[..] In my opinion, I agree with mostly John Locke but I do think that humans are not always born good. Very Happy

I agree with the idea that governments can - and have to - be overthrown (should they fail to complete their goals), but I don't agree with the statement that all humans are born with morals, reason, and peace. We all have both good and bad tendencies, and it's our choices that define which one we lean towards. I honestly think people are too complex for us to be able to label them as either 'good' or 'bad'. In fact, I believe it's beyond our comprehension to understand what makes us who we are, and whether we were born evil, or good. Looking at animals once again, I don't think the purpose of creatures in this world is to destroy, but to live and love. This must apply to humans as well, but there are too many factors that influence us to make a simple conclusion.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

My Opinion

Post  Joshua T on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 am

I do not believe that all humans are born with peace. I believe that an absolute monarchy government is needed to keep order. Unfortunately, humans are animals. Without laws there would be no order. Humans are born bad, they need somebody to tell them what are the limits and to put them in their place.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

i belive

Post  Gloria H. on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:29 pm

i believe that people were not born greedy and nasty, in fact i believe they were born with rights, that they were raised and later on thought of or become greedy and nasty was their own fault. I also believe that we should have laws, if not we would all become terrible people.

Gloria H.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Romane D. on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:28 am

Thomas Hobbes really believed that humans need an absolute ruler or else humans will kill each other, fight, be wild, and unhappy. On the other hand John Locke had a different way of thinking which was completely different. He said that we were all born with natural rights and that the government should protect people’s rights. I think they both prove really good points but I’m not sure who’s idea i prefer. Good topic cic <3
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicia M. on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 pm

I slightly agree with you Cicely, I would prefer to think that people are naturally born good. The truth is that it is mostly their environment that affects their actions and whom they become. Even if everyone is born with their unique character, their surrounding affects them a lot. It is hard to argue on the fact that people are either good or bad from birth since everyone is different. I do agree with many things that Locke said, such as that people have natural rights, and these rights should be protected by the government, and finally that a bad government can be overthrown by the citizens.
Alicia M.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum