Elizabeth I & Philip II

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elizabeth I & Philip II

Post  Belinda K. on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:51 am

King Philip II of Spain and Elizabeth I of England were two very distinctive rulers, had many likes and dislikes about things and especially to one another. They both had different ways of ruling their kingdoms and how to make it better. Both kingdoms had successful achievements and also many failing ones too.
Elizabeth I was considered as Elizabeth “The Great”, she earned this title by her strong will, intelligence, popularity with the people, and personal character. She was very loved by her kingdoms and they treated her with a lot of respect not only for being a queen but for being a great person. King Philip II of Spain was a very unsuccessful, opinionated, and ambitious man. He wasn’t too loved by his people. Elizabeth I was a Protestant, but before Elizabeth I was queen her half sister, Mary I, enforce England and Wales to the Roman Catholicism. Elizabeth I changed that religion as soon as she was named queen, she permitted Catholicism but they main religion of England was Protestantism. With King Philip II was different, he was a Catholic and he had two objectives as a king, to augment Spanish power and to cause his own religious creed to be universally accepted. His own people were tortured and executed if they refused to change their religion to Catholicism.
In Elizabeth’s reign England was still militarily engaged in Scotland and France, she always tried to avoid war between other countries. She also ensured that neither Spain or France controlled the entire coastline of England. Philip II foreign policy went from impressive successes to shameful defeats. King Philip II had way too many responsibilities as a king but not enough financial clout.

Belinda K.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Elizabeth I & Philip II

Post  CicelyS on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Religion causes too many conflicts in my opinion. I think that Phillip andf Elizabeth could have found peace had they not worried about each others relgions so much. It's a shame.
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

I Agree with Cicely

Post  Joshua T on Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 am

Like Cicely said, Religion caused to many conflicts. Phillip II was a very cruel man. He was selfish, arrogant, and in general just a mess. Elizabeth I was a much better ruler and I think we can all agree to that.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Elizabeth I & Philip II

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum