Elizabeth I and Philip II

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Elizabeth I and Philip II

Post  Romane D. on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:12 am

Philip II was one of the most powerful rulers, his father Charles, has been one of the most powerful men ever to have live in Europe. He was not only the King of Spain, but the governor of the Netherlands and Holy Romane Emperor. Philip inherited the throne of Spain as well as the Netherlands, he was also King of Portugal for a while, and he was extremely wealthy also because he owned lands in the Americas. Unlike his father, Philip II made Spain his main home and Spain was recognized as the most powerful country in Europe.

Elizabeth was the Queen of England and of Ireland from 1558 until her death. She supported England through a period of political and religious conflict and set her nation’s course to become the most significant Protestant world power for the next three centuries. She believed in a destiny for her country and she saw herself as the very personification of a holy, advantageous purpose. Her purpose was to obtain a harmonious nation ruled by laws from Biblical ethics to honor Gods. She was really impatience and sometimes and indecisive ruler. She was also a writer and a poet.

Philip II was the King of Spain between 1556 and 1598, King of Naples between 1554 and 1598. He was also the husband of Elizabeth’s half sister, Mary I. When Mary I died in 1558, Philip II wanted to keep the relation of Spain with England, so he sent a marriage proposal to Elizabeth. Elizabeth took a while to respond to his proposal but she decided not to marry him. The main reasons why she declined that proposal was because she was a Protestant and he was a Roman Catholic. He finally gave up on this idea and Elizabeth I became his enemy when she paid Sir Francis Drake, a sea ruler, with various ships to steal the goods from the Spanish ships as they were coming back from the New World, and they also attacked a Spanish port. Philip II then sent a huge fleet known as the Armada to attack England in July of 1588.
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: Elizabeth I and Philip II

Post  ebznski on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:41 pm

I find it sad that how a lot of times the most powerful ruler of the world at their time is actually a horrible ruler who is selfish and cruel without thinking of his/her people in anyway. Which is probably one reason why queen Elizabeth is the most remembered, because she was a good and just ruler while being the most powerful of them all even though most people at that time did not know that.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

RE: Elizabeth's quote

Post  Mira W. on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 pm

ebznski wrote:I find it sad that how a lot of times the most powerful ruler of the world at their time is actually a horrible ruler who is selfish and cruel without thinking of his/her people in anyway. Which is probably one reason why queen Elizabeth is the most remembered, because she was a good and just ruler while being the most powerful of them all even though most people at that time did not know that.

I agree. This is why I don't think that appointing rulers based simply on blood is the way to go. Rulers such as Philip got power, and not only didn't help his country, but damaged it as well. I suppose growing up being (literally) treated like a king, arrogance comes naturally. This, unfortunately, often cancels out compassion towards their people and country. Queen Elizabeth I will always be remembered as an inspiring ruler, while Philip will forever hold the title of being the, "selfish, cruel ruler compared to Elizabeth". While there had certainly been rulers far more cruel, he had - and will be - constantly been compared to Elizabeth.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Great Comparison

Post  Joshua T on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Philip II was a very cruel and selfish man. He was the ruler of Spain. He was also very racist and arrogant.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: Elizabeth I and Philip II

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum