Philip II

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Philip II

Post  ebznski on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Because of the new discoveries in the Americas Kings, Queens, and Emperors had very few limits to their power during this time. The rulers of nations believed that they were chosen by God to rule their country and to defy them would be an act against God. Philip the second ruled over Spain from 1556-1598 and because of him they had a golden age during this time. This golden age was because of the constant shipping of gold and silver from their American colonies to Spain.
Philip was an extreme Catholic during the time after the Protestant Reformation and because of this he believed that he was the leader of the 'Counter-Reformation'. The Counter-Reformation was the act of Catholics trying to get rid of the Protestant beliefs and bring the Catholic Church back to power. Ruling along with him was his wife Queen Marry the first of England (also known as Bloody Marry). Marry supported Philip in returning the world to the Catholic faith and in the 1500s King Philip and she tried to eliminate all of the Muslims and Jewish people that lived in Spain by killing them all off. Because of this act against other religions in the 1560's a revolt arose and the Dutch refused to ally with Philip to help them in this revolt. This was the beginning of the downfall of Spain.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Re: Philip II

Post  Mira W. on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Philip's absolute rule had destroyed Spain. If he had taken a page from Elizabeth book and realized that religious tolerance benefited the country greatly, maybe his downfall wouldn't have taken place. Enforcing Catholicism in the Netherlands was truly a terrible decision that should stand as a lesson for current people in power. Dictatorship still exists today, but I am positive that they will be overturned and democracy will be established in the world. Really, I find it amusing in a sad way that even 500 years later people believe they can have such divine power and rule over human beings.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:58 am

In my opinion, If monarchs back then weren't so concerened all the time about religion there would have been a lot less conflict. Phillip unecesarilly ruined Spain. Great posttt
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Romane D. on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:27 pm

After Mary died, Philip II wanted to keep contact with England by asking Elizabeth I to mary him! I think that was a very selfish act because it's stupid to marry someone just to gain and have more power. Unfortunately that's how things worked at that time! That's a really great and interesting post Elizabeth!
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum