Argos

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Argos

Post  TamaraG on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:31 am

Argos lies on the fertile Argolid plain in the eastern Peloponnese in Greece. The site has been inhabited from prehistoric times up to the present day. Ancient Argos was built on two hills: Aspis and Larissa, 80 m and 289 m in height respectively. Argos, along with Mycenae and Tiryns, was a significant Mycenaean centre, and the city remained important throughout the Greek, Hellenistic, and Roman periods until its destruction by the Visigoths in 395 CE.

TamaraG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Argos

Post  TamaraG on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 am

In ancient Greek mythology, the city gained its name from Argos, son of Zeus and Niobe. Homer’s Iliad tells of Argos sending men to fight in the Trojan War, as being ruled by Agamemnon, and as a place celebrated for its horse rearing. The city is also described by Homer as being especially dear to the goddess Hera.

TamaraG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post  Alianny on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:16 pm

Wow!! Tamara, that is very interesting. Argos seems to be a very interesting place. It is very interesting on how the land was named after the son of Zeus. Zeus was a great god. I think he was basically the king. The myths of the Greeks are very interesting. Smile

Alianny
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Ophirkes on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:13 pm

Wow, Tamara! That was something I didn’t know about history, before Christ. I never knew that Argos was even a thing and now that I know it is, it was also related to Greece and its stories, as well as Homer. By the way, what does CE mean? Anyways, great explanation and great topic!

Ophirkes
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum