The social class of America during European exchange

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The social class of America during European exchange

Post  Romane D. on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 pm

European colonies imitated the culture and social patterns of their parent countries. Colonial Latin America was divided by social classes that were based on status.
At the top were: Peninsulares: Spanish and Portuguese official born in Europe. They held all the important government positions.
Below the peninsulares were: Creoles: descendants of European born in Latin. They retained power and regarded the creoles as second-class America. So they were the second-class citizens.
Beneath the peninsulares and the creoles were: mestizos and mulattoes: Mestizos- person mixed European and Native American descendent. Mulattos- a person of mixed African and European descendent. They could be farmers, artisans, merchants in cities, and ranchers.
The groups at the very bottom of the social class scale were: The Africans and conquered Native Americans.

What’s your opinion about those social classes and with the way they were divided?
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The social class of America during European exchange

Post  ebznski on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:01 pm

I think that the people of that time were rather racist against the new people because they felt that Spanish/European people were the most important because they had the most money so they did not care for any other race other than their own because they thought of them as animals based on how they treated them during the Slave Trade.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicia M. on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 pm

I think their way if dividing people was unfair because they would do it per skin color or origin. The social class was pretty racist I would say. Africans and conquered native Americans were at the bottom and white or rich people at the top. How could they do such thing as slavery and Middle Passage to people? Only because of their skin color, they did not care.
Alicia M.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Pyramid

Post  Joshua T on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:50 pm

This social class pit amid that you informed us about, shows us who were the bosses. Such as the peninsulares. They were the pure Spanish. They were the slave owners. They were the ones that ruled.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Mira W. on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:36 pm

I agree, these social classes were very racist. It seems so unfair that those who originally lived on the land were pushed to the bottom, forced to work as slaves in their own homes. This is was superior weapons provided to the Europeans - power over the Natives. Imagine if Aliens were to invade Earth, and we'd be forced to work for them! Violence and aggression lead to people losing their culture, and home land. Really, there are so many lessons to learn from history, but people in power are repeatedly making the same mistakes ...
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:02 pm

I think even today social classes are unnecessary. They just cause more divisions than are needed. Especially back then, I think without the divisions, the colonies would have been more equal and therefore more peaceful.
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 am

When people come and conquer the land of the tribes and then kill them and make them work is sad. Maybe they shouldn't have been so brutal with the tribes, and stopped the African slavery. All of these has an effect of economic, health, etc. of our countries.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum