The first global economic trade

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The first global economic trade

Post  Romane D. on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am

The columbian exchange was the contact between two groups such as Europeans and the Native Americans, that lead to the widespread exchange of animals, plants, and diseases. Here are some examples of things that were exchanged from Europe to the Americas:
Plants:
- avocadoes
- beans
-cashews
-corn
- potatoes
- strawberries
-tobacco
-vanilla

Animals:
-llamas
-guiny pigs
- turkeys

Diseases:
- cholera
-influenza
- small pox
- measles
- malaria

There were good and bad effects of the Columbian exchange. For example the good changes:
Traditional cuisines changed because of new goods.
The effects weren’t only on America and Europe, also in Africa and China. The population grew tremendously because the nutrition was much better.
In Africa the two native crops of the Americas which were corn and peanut, were widely grown.
Potatoes fed at least 1/3 of the world.

Examples of negative changes:
The Europeans brought diseases that the Natives Americans couldn’t take, so for example in Mexico the population went down of 30%.
There was also warfare and other violence.
Native Americans were forced to become Christians.

I think that the interaction between those two continents was really important and worth it, because even if it brought negative effects, there are still the positive effects that stand out the most. Because if they hadn't interacted at some point, our lives would be extremely different. After they had started to do some exchanges more thing developed such as the balance of trade and the encomienda system.

What do you think about the first global economic trade?
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Re: The first global economic trade

Post  Alicia M. on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:26 pm

This trade was good idea, every continent had something the other ones didn't have and needed. The idea of trading made exchange of culture between continents. It made a sort of interaction between everyone. Of course, as you mentioned, there always are negative sides, but like you, I still think it was useful.
Alicia M.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:34 pm

I think the first global economic trade was a good and bad idea. Honestly, bad and good things came out of it, so it's hard to have a single thought on the trade.
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  ebznski on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 am

I find it interesting that the European nations well being revolves around the discovery of the Americas, the fact that with out the Americas could mean the the European nations would be less populous and less developed makes me feel more important. Very Happy
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum