interesting facts on swamps and tropical rain forests

View previous topic View next topic Go down

interesting facts on swamps and tropical rain forests

Post  Gloria H. on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:57 am

topical rainforests-
• About 1/4 of all the medicines we use come from rainforest plants.
• Tropical rainforests produce 40% of Earth's oxygen.
• The droppings of birds in the tropical rainforest grow into new plants.
• An area of a rainforest the size of a football field is being destroyed each second.
• Giant bamboo plants can grow up to 9 inches a day.
swamps-
• swamps run east to west, rivers north to south.
• Mosquitoes do not like swamps. The water is constantly moving, and skeeters like standing water.
• Swamps clean the water better than man-made filtration systems.
• As early as 50 years ago, it was common to have a mattress stuffed with Spanish Moss that dangles from the branches of the cypress trees at home in the swamp

Gloria H.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 15

Back to top Go down

Re: interesting facts on swamps and tropical rain forests

Post  ebznski on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 pm

It's rather sad to know that we know all of these amazing facts about the rain forests and how they have helped us greatly through out our existence and yet we still cut them down as if they are not important.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Alicia M. on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:52 pm

I agree with you Elizabeth, swamps and Tropical tropical rain forests are really important biomes, as Gloria mentioned, they help us in many many ways. Many people talk or think about making a change, but few make a move on it. One day it is going to be too late and we won't be able to go back… good post gloria. afro
Alicia M.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

RE: Alicia's comment

Post  Mira W. on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:45 am

I agree with you guys! One day, it will be too late and people will just ask themselves, "What have we done?" But there won't be any going back. The amount of oxygen that is needed for 7 billion people to live - who pollute the air to alarming levels using everyday appliances - will be greater than the amount our scarce rainforests will be able produce. What will happen then? Will countries fight for air? To think about the amount of people who would die in a war where the prize is life ... It is simply unbelievable how basically everyone in our world knows that we have a problem, knows what steps we can make to avoid having issues, but don't. Is it that people don't understand the weight of this? The thing is, this all seems so far away. I suppose everyone deludes themselves by saying it's centuries away. But that's false information: statistics say our generation will be experiencing such shortages in just a few decades. Our world is certainly going to take an interesting turn if humanity continues on as it is today.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  CicelyS on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 pm

large companies and ignorant people are to blame for the destruction of the rain forests. It's tragic to think that eventually the process of deforestation will get to such a drastic point that we won't be able to reverse our actions. Luckily, it isn't too late now, which is why it's important to stay informed about these things and sign petitions!
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Very Nice Topics

Post  Joshua T on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Great topic Gloria. I have never actually seen many ponds or swaps. After posting this informative piece of writing about swamps, I now look at swamps in a different way. Now I know the animals, abiotic factors, and plants that are found in ponds and swamps. Thank you Gloria.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum