European Expansion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

European Expansion

Post  CicelyS on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm

During the 16th century, Europe began to colonise after the search for India began. Their main focus was power, money and to spread Christianity. Even our island was colonised for it's cocoa and sugar. During the colonisation, the encomienda system was enforced. This basically meant that the conquistadores could force the natives to work for them. They made this happen by selling things to the natives that they couldn't afford but also couldn't resist and then using their debt to make them work. Due to independences, colonise are no longer controlled by nations and civilisations were introduced.
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Re: European Expansion

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Also, the reason why Spain was such a powerful nation was because they were controlling all their colonies trade routes. They would only allow their colonies trade good to go to Spain and no where else. Therefore, Spain got super wealthy. However, their colonies in Latin America with their Native slaves stopped because of the New Laws, but this didn't stop them. They used African slaves instead and killed so many of them, cruelly.
Nice post Cicely, keep it up (:
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Romane D. on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:19 pm

I knowww! It is a so cruel from the Europeans being so harsh to the Native Americans. Did you know that Bartolome de las Casas was the one who was against it because it was decreasing their population and because he thought it was too mean. Then they signed a contract saying that they won't be doing that to the Native Americans anymore. Sadly, Bartolome de las Casas gave a new idea, that he then regretted, he said that they could start using Africans as new slave. It was horrible everything that occurred with the African slaves, I really wasn't fair to them either. I mean how cruel is that, not only they were forced to be slaves and do harsh work, they were separated from their families, and their religion and population intensely decrease. I find it just horrible and unfair, I really wish they hadn't done all this to Africa, because of them Africa is now poor. Eurpeans should be ashamed. Great topic cicelyy congratulations
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 am

One of the Europeans countries that got really wealthy on the expansion was Spain. It had conquered the most part of the America and after having the triangular trade got really wealthy and powerful.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum