Something to Think About

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Something to Think About

Post  Mira W. on Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Reading several posts and articles about the Triangular Trade, I have realized I often see a sentence that disturbs me a lot. Here it is: "[..] traded them for slaves." As though slaves were objects, not humans. I still don't completely understand how white people could sink to a level so low that they would objectify others and enforce the encomienda system. Cruel doesn't even begin to describe the treatment slaves received! What had been going on in the minds of these people? Did they truly believe the Africans and Natives were beneath them, simply because they had different cultures, or skin? They couldn't have been so simple minded. So blinded by greed. Studying this after the time of indulgences ... anyone else feel like humans have disappointed them? We deem ourselves above animals because we are capable of complex thought. If this is true, why don't we use it to improve our world? Why do we use it solely to destroy?

I'm sure everyone has been in a situation when they first met a dog. Picture it in your mind. Most commonly, they are wagging their tails, clearly enjoying your presence. They don't care who you are, who you were, or what you do. They love each other, they love humans, they love you. Why? Usually for absolutely no reason. Those animals who are wild and live away from civilizations, live off of instinct. They take away from nature, and give back the same amount. They live in harmony with the world around them. With their simple minds they project love, respect, and peace. I feel like we should be doing the same, but choose not to ... and I believe we are defined by our choices.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to say animals are better, humans are stupid. No; humans are amazing and capable of incredible things. I was just trying to point out that our basic instincts aren't to ruin. I'm simply trying to understand why humans work the way they do, when those creatures who evolved with us throughout the years seem to differ from us so greatly. Maybe it's our survival instincts. Are we just trying to live? Is that where all this greed and selfishness originates from? It might be true, but why aren't we smart enough to realize it is getting us nowhere?
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Something to Think About

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Amazing topic, honestly there is no way of knowing why discrimination of other colored people, racism, first started. How did white people think they were better than their own human species. I'n the end of the day, we all eat and breath the same way. We are the same. The white people whom decided that they were better and started treating their own species is more than cruel.
Again, really good topic. More people should post their ideas, it's a good topic to discuss as a class.
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum