Colonial Class System

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Colonial Class System

Post  Belinda K. on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

At the top of class system were the Peninsulares, these were Spanish and Portuguese officials born in Europe. Beneath them were the Creoles, these people were the descendants of Europeans born in Latin America. Beneath them were numerous groups, the main ones where Mestizos and Mulattoes. The Mestizos were Spanish and Indian offspring and the Mulattoes were White American and African offspring. At the bottom of the class system were the Native Indians and the Black slaves.

Belinda K.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 6

Back to top Go down

Social Ladder

Post  Mira W. on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:20 pm

It is sad to see that they based your social status on something you couldn't control, such as your heritage. It should have been based to their actions, not their blood. Unfortunately, such prejudices and separations within the society still exist today. Racism is based on skin color. How would you like to be judged on something so trivial, and out of your reach? For example, imagine being considered lesser in worth, to be unintelligent and without class, just because you had glasses. Does that make any sense? Just like these absurd social classes, it is completely irrational. This was just the way certain people wanted to gain power and access to mounds of gold. Had it been based off the accomplishments of a person, our world would be completely different right now. Interesting to think how people's greed and laziness has formed our community.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Colonial Class System

Post  Romane D. on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:04 pm

I find it interesting to see how it’s separated. As you can notice on the image that you put, the social class was organized based on your inheritance, so if you were from Europe you would be at the top, because you were considered more important and rich. They were they European descendants but they were born in America so they were a bit less important just because they were born in America. I find this really sad because it isn’t fair and people shouldn’t be classed and specially not on where they were born or who their descendants were. Good topic belindaa <3
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  ebznski on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:45 pm

I find it odd that the new people that had come into the Americas had the most power even though they knew nothing about the land. I understand that they were more powerful than the Native Americans but I still think that the system is backwards.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Vasilisa on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:30 am

Even though we don't really have a social system today, we can still see it. There are several different ones based on different things. For example money, the rich are at the top and the poor ones are at the bottom.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Great JOb

Post  Joshua T on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Very interesting topic. I remember learning about this. The peninsulares were at the top of the pyramid. They were the all white spanish born ones.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum