The Phoenicians

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Phoenicians

Post  Roberta2000 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:13 pm

The Phoenicians were sea traders; their cities were independent and competitive. Some of their cities were Carthage, Byblos, and Sidon. Phoenicia was located between the eastern Mediterranean coast and the Lebanon Mountains. The Phoenicians colonized many areas along the Mediterranean Sea. Colonization is invading and taking over of foreign territory, which then becomes known as a colony. They traded many things, such as cedars of Lebanon and murex shells used to make purple dye. They even had an Alphabet!

Roberta2000
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Very interesting

Post  Francisco Jimenez on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:16 pm

excellent, blog topic Roberta, I had no idea that the phoenicians created the alphabet. I always believed that the Sumerians were the first to have an alphabet since they created the oldest writing system which is cuneiform.

Francisco Jimenez
Newcomer
Newcomer

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: The Phoenicians

Post  dashas on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Nice topic!!! You greatly explained the importance of Phoenicians in the present! Great job, Roberta

dashas
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Omeara on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Great topic Roberta! In fact I just wrote a topic about the Phoenicians and I think that they were really important because apparently their alphabet had a great influence on the Greek alphabet and language. I find that really interesting! Also I find it really cool how they were known for the most successful sea traders, if it wasn't for them, trading would've probably started much later, and things would be different now. Did you know that one of the most important place that they colonized was Carthage. Once again awesome topic! Smile

Omeara
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Alianny on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:15 pm

The Phoenician civilization was very wealthy. They did a lot of trade and got a lot of money by just selling those murex shells. Many Egyptian queens and kings bought their murex shells because of the purple ink that came out of them. The purple ink represented wealth.

Alianny
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Alianny on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:16 pm

The Phoenician civilization was very wealthy. They did a lot of trade and got a lot of money by just selling those murex shells. Many Egyptian queens and kings bought their murex shells because of the purple ink that came out of them. The purple ink represented wealth.

Alianny
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  Alianny on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Alianny
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum