European Expansion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

European Expansion

Post  ebznski on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Most of the new discoveries of land during the 1400's were actually accidental. For example, America was only discovered because Christopher Columbus wanted to find a faster route to Asia. People back then thought everyone that there was nothing more than where they lived that there nothing more than what they new. Many people thought that many things were impossible to accomplish. For example, it was thought that you couldn't sail to the tip of Africa until it was done by Bartholomeu Dias in 1488. His trip was very difficult and could not have been accomplished if he wasn't using the new style of ships invented by the Portuguese called the Caravel. This new style of ship was able to catch the wind no matter what direction it was blowing because of the triangular style of sail. The Caravel could also travel faster and longer distances while being able to carry more cargo.
The Age of Exploration would not have been possible if people hadn't invented new technology that was more equip to handle harsher things. Another invention that helped with the Age of Exploration was the invention of the Rifle, without the rifle there could have been a higher chance that the people of the new world would have been able to defeat the Europeans and continue living there lives somewhat peacefully.
ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Humanity ...

Post  Mira W. on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:10 pm

I wish I could just simply sail into the unknown and come across a land that I later name after myself. As awesome as it sounds, it is true. Most explorers didn't actually plan on finding new land, but rather sailing to already known ones for goods. Then again, can we consider these people to have 'discovered' these lands, if they were already populated? I think not. If there were civilizations built up, as there were in almost all areas, then people have already discovered it thousands years ago. Why should certain sailors be credited? I admit, it must take incredible courage and determination to simply sail out into the unknown, especially in a time when they believed sea monsters existed. That does give a basic reason as to why they earned such glory, but shouldn't the natives get to name their own land? Again, it shows how humans selfish, greedy, and power hungry. I wish we would still have the culture that was prominent in America when it was 'found'; people living in harmony with nature, and in peace with each other. They showed respect to not only the other members of society, but all living creatures around them. I wonder how we would live today, had that mindset not been destroyed ... Would we have issues on Earth such as global warming, deforestation, and pollution? I think it's sad to think humanity has completely demolished everything nature had given, and not even for the greater good, but for purely self-centered reasons.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: European Expansion

Post  Vasilisa on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Its great how explorers found new land. Afterwards they started colonization. The four biggest countries: Spain, England, France, and Portugal, started claiming parts of North America and South America as part of their country.

Vasilisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Romane D. on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:23 pm

Did you know that after the European expansion, there was a new system of trading that was all around the world. It was called the triangular trade. There were three continents involved, Europe, Africa, and the America’s. In Europe they would manufacture all their goods, but first they would go to Africa to get the slaves. Africa was extremely affecter by this because millions of Africans died because of diseases, they were treated really badly, and they were forced to do harsh work. They were considered as property. After taking those slave, they went to America which is where they had the raw materials and that is how the slaves worked on to extract them. After taking the raw materials they went back to Europe, which was very wealthy at that time, and that is where they did the manufactured products. Great topic Elizabeth! thumbs up
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Marti Roy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Like Mira was saying, it would be awesome to sail, find land and name it. However, there are two parts to this wish. I would't like to be born during that time, i think that most of the people of this generation wouldn't last one day and night (24 hours.) Just because we are so used to being lazy. Working can be done by siting and typing into your computer, and the only thing kids do is play video games. Teenagers are: or freaking out about school, or not doing anything all day just because they don't care.
It seems like we live in a completely different world, it's insane!.
Nice god Elizabeth on your post! (:
Sarah Marti Roy
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: