Reformation of England

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reformation of England

Post  ebznski on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Late Medieval England had a reputation for the king not wanting to give up his power to the Pope even though religious leaders had been calling for a Church reform since the 1300's. However when they did finally break from the Catholic Church it was in no means because of religion but instead because of a selfish king. This king was named Henry VIII and at first he was rather fond of the Catholic Church and had sent many letters criticizing Luther's ideas of religion. However when Henry had been wanting a son to be his heir to the thrown and when he married Catherine of Aragon he found out that it could not happen with her. They had been married in 1509 and by 1527 they had had one daughter named Mary, but no son even though they have made countless attempts.
Henry and everyone else believed that the reason she was not able to birth a son was because of the fact that she had been previously married to Henry's older brother Aurthor before he passed away, which is considered a sin in the Christian religion.
So that Henry could have son and because he had fallen in love with a woman by the name of Anne Bolyn (as well as got her pregnant with their second daughter Elizabeth) Henry went to the Pope and asked for an annulment so that he could marry Anne Bolyn. However because of the fact that a divorce was a sin, therefore illegal, the Pope refused the annulment and sent Henry away. Because of this he went parliament to declare him the supreme ruler of England and therefore could divorce Catherine and marry Anne.

ebznski
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 7

Back to top Go down

Selfish Kings and Discrimination

Post  Mira W. on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Firstly, I find it horrible how commonly I hear about a supreme ruler -such as a king- being so utterly selfish. It seems hardly any of them even cared about their countries! I don't understand how that can be, knowing you have the fate of thousands (maybe even millions) of people in your hands, and care solely about yourself. Secondly, as I mentioned in one of my blog posts, it was Henry's fault that he couldn't have healthy children! Several women who were his wives were humiliated, and even had their heads chopped off for not bearing him a son, all the while it was him. Anyone else thinking the words, female discrimination? No one seemed to stop for even a second to consider that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't his wives' fault. Six women, all tried and failed to have a son with Henry VIII, but only one sickly child came to live? Even if you don't think medical, think religious; didn't anyone wonder whether Henry was cursed as a person, and not just his marriages?

I am extremely glad that while gender discrimination still stands today, it is not as prominent as it used to be. However, it does still affect many women today, and is one of the many issues within our society that must be resolved. I hope gender equality will be achieved sometime in the near future, for discrimination for something so futile is ridiculous.
Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum