The Tundra Biome

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Tundra Biome

Post  Joshua T on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:43 pm

The tundra biome is found near the North poles of the earth.

The abiotic factors that influence the tundra are:
-Strong Winds -Rainfall -Short Summer Days -Long and Cold Winters -Poor Soil -Permafrost Layer

There are many animals that live in the tundra. Some of these animals include:
-Caribous -Ermines -Water Birds -Mosquitoes -Polar Bears -Arctic Foxes -White Wolves -Grizzly Bears -Gray Falcons -Bald Eagles -Bumble Bees -Squirrels -Norway Lemmings -Shrews -Voles -Arctic Hares -Rock Ptarmigans -Snowy Owls -Muskoxen

Although there are few trees in the tundra, there is a variety of smaller vegetation that grows in this environment. Plants that are commonly found in the tundra biome include:
-Dwarf Shrubs -Grasses -Mosses -Lichens

Some of the environmental threats that the tundra biome is going through is:
The melting of the permafrost as a result of global warming could radically change the landscape and what species are able to live there.
Ozone depletion at the North and South Poles means stronger ultraviolet rays that will harm the tundra.
Air pollution can cause smog clouds that contaminate lichen, a significant food source for many animals.
Exploration of oil, gas, and minerals and construction of pipelines and roads can cause physical disturbances and habitat fragmentation.
Oil spills can kill wildlife and significantly damage tundra ecosystems.
Buildings and roads put heat and pressure on the permafrost, causing it to melt.
Invasive species push aside native vegetation and reduce diversity of plant cover.

This blog post was inspired by the research that I am currently doing for a science project. I found the tundra biome very interesting; therefore I wanted to inform all of you about it.

Joshua T
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum