Queen "Bloody Mary" I

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Queen "Bloody Mary" I

Post  Mira W. on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Queen "Bloody Mary" I

Within the five years Mary Tudor stood as first female queen of England, she had done enough to be titled as, "Bloody Mary".

Born in 1516, she was the only child of King Henry VIII and his first wife to make it past infancy. Estranged from her father, she became an illegitimate princess when her parents agreed on the annulment of their marriage. Her father had broken off from the Roman Catholic Church, which had originally been keeping him from divorcing her mother. Mary blamed her father's decision to stray from Roman doctrines for the fact that she was no longer heir to the English throne, and her rage grew. Her loyalty for Rome had been set at a young age, from which she wouldn't deter for the rest of her life.

King Henry VIII's successor had been her half-brother Edward VI, who later became so weak Mary had regained her position in line for the throne. By the time he died, Protestantism had grown in momentum to an extent where they considered Henry's niece, Lady Jane Grey as Queen to favor Protestants. Fortunately for Mary, she soon overpowered the resistance and was crowned on November 10th, 1553. Queen Mary I started living up to her nickname the year she was crowned, when she had Jane Grey executed to avoid any of power struggle.

During her reign, Mary had been obsessively dedicated to turning England back to Roman Catholicism. She had over 300 Protestants burned at the stake, most of which were common citizens. After five years at the throne, she died from cancer at the age of 42. Her successor had been Elizabeth I, who later undid all of Mary's changes and Protestant refugees were able to return to England.

Overall, her reign hardly had an effect on Britain (for it was reversed soon after) with the exception of her nickname that is still alive today. Not exactly what I'd call a good example of a queen; she enhanced the prejudice that only men can be capable rulers.
She not only failed her country, but the female population as well.

(Note how realistic and detailed the painting above is)
Some alterations due to the nickname ...

Mira W.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: Queen "Bloody Mary" I

Post  CicelyS on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:28 pm

This is very interesting. I have read the book "The Other Boleyn Girl" about Anne Boleyn. This describe the childhood of Mary through the eyes of the Boleyn sisters. It's really cool to be able to read this and connect it to what I've read. It sad to think how she turned out quite like the monster that was her father. Great post mira!
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum