Sumerian city of Mesopotamia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sumerian city of Mesopotamia

Post  Roberta2000 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:56 pm

In History class I learned many things, but I’m going to talk about the Sumerian city of Mesopotamia. Sumerian cities were surrounded by walls. There were small houses for peasants and larger houses for officials, priests, and priestesses. The buildings were made of clay or mud bricks. In Mesopotamia people were polytheistic, they believed in many gods. There was a temple dedicated to the chief god or goddess of the city; the temple was built in a massive stepped tower called a Ziggurat.

In Mesopotamia there were also social classes and jobs. Scribes were members of the learning class who served as copyists, teachers, and jurists. Scribes were very important to the Sumerian city. Scribes thought how to read and write in Cuneiform. Cuneiform was a system of writing developed by the Sumerians using a reed stylus to create wedge-shaped impressions on a clay tablet. This is a summary of what I learned about the Sumerian city of Mesopotamia.  Smile

Roberta2000
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Sumerian City of Mesopotamia

Post  Ophirkes on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:26 pm

Your topic was very informative and interesting in my opinion. There are many things that indeed I do agree, but there are some things that even I didn’t know! By the way, scribes have to go to school for 12 years to learn Cuneiform. It is a very tough writing system to learn. Scribes had a special job and they were classified on a higher level than normal people. They also got treated a little different and where given something in return of their great job. The buildings that were built, were from dried clay, and due to that, when flooding occurred, many got destroyed.

Ophirkes
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Sumerian city of Mesopotamia

Post  rosim. on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:44 pm

nice job Roberta!! i really liked how you connected all the things together that had to do with the same section. it was very interesting that was one of my favorite topics to talk about. Also did you know that the sumerians made a map of the earth. they thought that it was a flat disc and that the atantic ocean was the end of it.

rosim.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Alianny on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Nice Job Roberta!!
Did you know that the Sumerian City of Mesopotamia was excavated? They found many treasures in the process which were made out of gold. The Sumerian City is a very interesting place to know about, it has many interesting stories to it like the instruments played by the slaves or the writing. I remember that the kings or priests were buried with all their belongings including their slaves.

Alianny
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  isaacbueno.4 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Roberta this was a good post, I learned new things that in Mesopotamia there was social classes as you said. Another thing I didn't know was that that scribes were members of jurists and copyists. I also notice that you talked about cuneiform which was their type of writing and with what they wrote. You may also have talked about Gilgamesh in your blog, but it was good what you had done. Very Happy

isaacbueno.4
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  dashas on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Good post, Roberta! You did a good job on describing the Sumerian city of Mesopotamia. In Mesopotamia Sumerians organized many city-states and each one had its own ruler. The big temples, or Ziggurats, were usually built in the center of the city for people to pray to gods.

dashas
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  marcosloinaz on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Very cool how you explained everything! Did you know that they thought the world was flat? Did you also know that in the city cemetery was excavated in search of artifacts. Very Happy

marcosloinaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum