Science and Technology of World War II

Go down

Science and Technology of World War II

Post  MercedesD99 on Thu May 22, 2014 10:47 am

For all the role of science, mathematics, and new inventions in earlier wars, no war had as profound an effect on the technologies of our current lives than World War II (1939-45). And no war was as profoundly affected by science, math, and technology than WWII.

We can point to numerous new inventions and scientific principles that emerged during the war. These include advances in rocketry, pioneered by Nazi Germany. The V-1 or “buzz bomb” was an automatic aircraft (today known as a “cruise missile”) and the V-2 was a “ballistic missile” that flew into space before falling down on its target (both were rained on London during 1944-45, killing thousands of civilians). The “rocket team” that developed these weapons for Germany were brought to the United States after World War II, settled in Huntsville, Alabama, under their leader Wernher von Braun, and then helped to build the rockets that sent American astronauts into space and to the moon. Electronic computers were developed by the British for breaking the Nazi “Enigma” codes, and by the Americans for calculating ballistics and other battlefield equations. Numerous small “computers”—from hand-held calculating tables made out of cardboard, to mechanical trajectory calculators, to some of the earliest electronic digital computers, could be found in everything from soldiers’ pockets to large command and control centers. Early control centers aboard ships and aircraft pioneered the networked, interactive computing that is so central to our lives today.

"Buzz bomb":

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Science and Technology of World War II

Post  Maya Luisa on Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Nice topic. I remember seeing a picture of the buzz bomb before. I think it was in world history class. It is so weird to think that small looking plane/jet/submarine thing is a bomb. I wonder what it did, was it as destructive as the atomic bomb? Was it more destructive than a normal bomb? Was it like a missile, did someone control it, did it follow objects? It has wings, and I think an engine, so I guess it wasn’t dropped I think it was more like thrown or directed, or else it wouldn’t have those extremities. Why does it have such a thin nose? How big is it? What is it used for? Correction Nazi Germany did create a lot of new objects, but I think the atomic bomb was first made by the united states, others just said they had it even though they didn’t, because they knew it would frighten the people too much to actually attack and see if they had it. If you don’t know, and it’s something so destructive I don’t think you would want to find out whether it was true or not that way.
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 pm

You're right, technology was one of the things that allowed this war to be so deadly. Not only were people able to attack by ground with advanced guns but they were able to attack from the water with ships and submarines, and from the air with airplanes. As technology grew, the  populations of Europe during the war decreased. As if it hadn't been enough, the atomic bomb was invented.
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Fabianny Silverio on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:14 pm

World War II was a war with many deaths and one of these reasons was the advancements in technology. Countries were developing new weapons, some which can cause the death of millions. I would have to say the "Zepplin" was one of the most interesting. It was something new and huge that terrified anyone at this time. Nice topic!  thumbs up 

Fabianny Silverio
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum