Nelson Mandela

Go down

Nelson Mandela Empty Nelson Mandela

Post  PJ follmann on Thu May 01, 2014 10:55 am

Nelson Mandela was the President of South Africa in 1994 and stepped down in 1999. He was in jail for 27 years and played a leading role in the drive for peace in other spheres of conflict. He was a peaceful man because he did not look for war to solve problems, he new there were better ways, more peaceful ways but he just needed the assistance of the people. He was then finally freed in 1990 and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. Nelson Mandela’s ultimate achievement was the compromise of freedom to the South Africans by the Dutch settlers. He also participated in campaigns to rid South Africa of apartheid and segregation, which was rife during the colonial times. He also led South Africa to a path of recovery as the leader of the ANC (South Africa’s ruling party).

PJ follmann
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 29

Back to top Go down

Nelson Mandela Empty Re: Nelson Mandela

Post  Maya Luisa on Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Nice topic. True, Nelson Mandela was the president of South Africa in 1994. Do you know why he stepped down 5 years later in 1999? 1999, was the year I was born in, kind of strange he stepped down that year. I know he was in jail for 27 years and did play a major role in the drive for peace, but do you know why he was in jail for so long? Do you know what he did? Do you know where he was imprisoned? Do you know when he was born, or when he died? Do you know if he had a family, or ever got married, or had any children?
Maya Luisa
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Mon May 19, 2014 10:11 am

Interesting topic PJ! From what I've hear, Nelson Mandela was a good president, and leader. So if he was so good, why was he in jail for so long? Why was he in jail at all? As Maya mentioned, it is strange that he stayed in power for five years and then suddenly stepped down. Do you know the reason? I think he was a great influence on the people of South Africa.
Lou Bouzonnet
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Great job, PJ! Did you know that:

1. Mandela's prison number was 46664, a number which he embraced, later making it the name of his HIV/AIDS Awareness campaign
2. In 1941, Mandela and his cousin Justice ran away from home to escape an arranged marriage
3. On November 2009, the United States named the 18th of July 'Mandela Day' after his birthday
4. He received more than 695 awards including the Nobel Prize 
5. More than 25 schools, universities and educational institutions have been named after Nelson Mandela
Dominique
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Fabianny Silverio on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Nice topic! Nelson Mandela was an inspiration to many people and his actions made a mark in history. One of my favourite quotes from Mandela is,"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

Fabianny Silverio
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum