The History of the English Language

Go down

The History of the English Language

Post  MercedesD99 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:36 pm

The history of the English language really started with the arrival of three Germanic tribes who invaded Britain during the 5th century AD. These tribes, the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes, crossed the North Sea from what today is Denmark and northern Germany. At that time the inhabitants of Britain spoke a Celtic language. But most of the Celtic speakers were pushed west and north by the invaders - mainly into what is now Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The Angles came from "Englaland" and their language was called "Englisc" - from which the words "England" and "English" are derived.

A brief chronology of English:

Local inhabitants speak Celtish
55 BC      Roman invasion of Britain by Julius Caesar.                                                                                  
AD 43      Roman invasion and occupation. Beginning of Roman rule of Britain.
436         Roman withdrawal from Britain complete.
449         Settlement of Britain by Germanic invaders begins
450-480   Earliest known Old English inscriptions. Old English
1066       William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy, invades and conquers England.
c1150      Earliest surviving manuscripts in Middle English. Middle English
1348       English replaces Latin as the language of instruction in most schools.
1362       English replaces French as the language of law. English is used in Parliament for the first time.
c1388      Chaucer starts writing The Canterbury Tales.
c1400      The Great Vowel Shift begins.

Early Modern English
1476      William Caxton establishes the first English printing press.                                                                          
1564      Shakespeare is born.
1604      Table Alphabeticall, the first English dictionary, is published.
1607      The first permanent English settlement in the New World (Jamestown) is established.
1616      Shakespeare dies.
1623      Shakespeare's First Folio is published
1702      The first daily English-language newspaper, The Daily Courant, is published in London.
1755      Samuel Johnson publishes his English dictionary.
1776      Thomas Jefferson writes the American Declaration of Independence.
1782      Britain abandons its colonies in what is later to become the USA.

Late Modern English
1828      Webster publishes his American English dictionary.                                                                                    
1922      The British Broadcasting Corporation is founded.
1928      The Oxford English Dictionary is published.

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: The History of the English Language

Post  elena.scates on Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 am

Nice topic Mercedes! It's really interesting to read about where the English language came from. I don't really think about it much, but it's weird to think about the development of one of the most used languages in the world. It's also cool that so many different people have contributed to adding words into the English vocabulary, like Shakespeare for example. He just made up new words and now they're part of our everyday vocabulary.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Tue May 06, 2014 12:27 pm

In my opinion, I think that English and Chinese are the most spoken languages in the world. If you think about it, Chinese is very famous because the Chinese population make up more than 1.7 billion of our population. But the English language is spoken all around the world, in every country. Languages are one of the most important things in life. The more languages you know, the more opportunities you will get. We are so lucky to live in such a diverse country and world, and be part of this international community. This allows us to learn different languages and cultures.
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Tue May 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Nice topic. I have heard a story, but I thought it was a myth or something, of the Saxons, Angles and Jutes which were three Germanic tribes, but I didn’t know that they were where the origin of the English Language came from; in fact I didn’t know they had anything to do with the English language. I always thought German and English were associated, either one originated from the other one or they had common ancestry, because they sound alike and have a lot of words in common, sort of like Spanish and Italian do. I knew that England and English had common ancestry and probably derived from the same word, but I never knew that word until now. Thank you for informing me that these two words derived from the word Englisc. Did American English derive from British English? Or did they just arise, or do they have common ancestry? Or are they not related at all and just happen to be the same?
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum