Post  MercedesD99 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:07 pm

The Hamsa Prayer:
Let no sadness come
to this heart.
Let no trouble come
to these arms.
Let no conflict come
to these eyes.
Let my soul be filled with the blessing of joy of peace.

The word “hamsa” or “hamesh” means five. There are five digits on the hamsa hand, but the number five has additional symbolic meaning in the Jewish and Islamic traditions. Five (hamesh in Hebrew) represents the five books of the Torah. It also symbolizes the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, "Heh", which represents one of God’s holy names. It symbolizes the Five Pillars of Islam for Sunnis, and the Five People of the Cloak for Shi'ites.

In the Jewish religion, the hamsa hand also symbolizes the Hand of God. Many Jews believe the hamsa pendant symbolizes the Hand of Miriam, the sister of Moses and Aaron. In the Islamic faith, the hamsa hand symbolizes The Hand of Fatima, daughter of the Prophet Mohammed.

Many Jews believe that the five fingers of the hamsa hand remind its wearer to use their five senses to praise God. Hamsa hands often contain an eye symbol, which is a powerful talisman, or charm, against the evil eye. It is most often worn as a hamsa necklace, but can be found as a decorative element in houses, on key chains, and other jewelry items. It is quickly gaining popularity as an amulet in baby carriages. In addition to averting the gaze of the evil eye, it brings its wearer or owner happiness, luck, health, and good fortune.

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hand of Fatima (or the Hamsa Hand) Symbology

Post  elena.scates on Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 am

This was a really cool post to read. I keep seeing different drawings of the Hamsa hand and they always seem to be very intricate and fun to look at. It's really cool how it's kind of a good luck charm too. Good work  Smile 
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Great job, Mercedes! I never really knew about the history of this symbol. I've seen people wearing it in necklaces and bracelets, even tattoos! Now I know why they chose to carry this symbol around, not just because an interesting design.
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Tue May 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I have always liked that hand, but I never really knew what it actually meant. I have a lot of jewellery with it, and some people say that it brings good luck. Who would have thought that such a pretty and delicate symbol could represent so many things. I think that symbols like that are important, because it reminds us who we are and what we believe in.
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Tue May 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Nice topic. The hamsa hand has always interested me. It is odd to think that different religions have different meanings for it and different names for it, in reality, I wonder what it means. According to some it means one thing and according to others it might mean something completely different, even the ways of drawing it are always different, I have never seen two hamsa hands being drawn the same way, yes they all are very intricate an pretty and interesting to look at and probably very hard to draw, but you typically don’t see two of the hamsa hands drawn the exact same way. For example, symbols in different religions have to be drawn the same exact way or else they supposedly won’t work, but for some reason this religious symbol doesn’t have to be drawn the same in order to do the same work, I wonder why it’s case is different from other symbols. Is it like something special and superior to all the other religious symbols?
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum