Mythical Beliefs of the Camera

Go down

Mythical Beliefs of the Camera

Post  MercedesD99 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:23 pm

There are many beliefs in Native American, Haitian, and other folkloric cultures that the camera has the ability to replicate, or make a copy of, the evil qualities of the person in the picture into another human-like form. (Many stories describe how they are copied as demons.) Others believe it can reveal all a person's secrets. In some cases, people are so afraid of cameras that if you even try to point a camera at them to take a picture, or just carry one around with you, they will keep their distance.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find an example of one of these stories on the internet, but I'm sure there are many in books about modern-day native cultures.

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Mythical Beliefs of the Camera

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Nice topic Mercedwes! Yes there are a lot of different beliefs and rumors about the capabilities of the cameras. Some times in school they would use these cameras to take school photos of classes and there would be "ghosts" because it took such a long time for the photo to actually develop people would walk from one place to another and then come out various times in the finished product. Except for instead of being obviously there like a person standing still would be, they would be more faded, and blurred kind of like a ghost is in all the horror films when you see them in pictures. A lot of people are scared of these cameras, and I don't know why they would believe all of this stuff about them. It would be interesting to know where these stories originated from, maybe they came from the various people in one picture or the ghosts I was just telling you about.
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am

It's amazing how culture and beliefs can change the way people act around each other so easily. It's also amazing how some things that are treasured in some countries are considered malevolent in other countries. It is always interesting to learn more about the cultures of differing nations and how their cultures dictate their actions. Great job, Mercedes!
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Wow that is very strange! I had never heard of that! Since our world is so diverse, there are different cultures and beliefs. In my opinion, I think that cameras are just a machine created to capture the moment. I don't think that a camera has the ability to "reveal our secrets". At the same time, it is good that we have different opinions because if everyone would think the same, it wouldn't be as exciting.
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum