The United States Joins the Industrial Revolution

Go down

The United States Joins the Industrial Revolution

Post  MercedesD99 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 pm

The U.S. also had a a part in the Industrial Revolution in the beginning of the 19th century. In 1800, out of the 5 million people that inhabited the U.S., 6 out of 7 American workers were farmers. No city contained more than 100,000 people.

By 1860, the population had grown to more than 30 million. Many of these people moved to the cities. Now, 8 cities contained more than 100,000 people and 50% of American workers were farmers.

Because it' such a huge country, the Unites States were in need of an efficient way of transportation to move goods across the nation. Thousands of miles of roads and canals were built to join the east and west, but most importantly were the railroads. By 1860, around 30,000 miles of railroad stretched out in the U.S. By 1890, 200,000 miles of railroads were built.

The effects of this first Industrial Revolution included growing cities, changes in society, and two new social classes: the industrial middle class (the owners of factories and machines, etc.) and the industrial working class (the people who worked in the factories).

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: The United States Joins the Industrial Revolution

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:01 pm

It is so crazy to see how fast the U.S's population grew in such a short period of time. The industrial revolution had a huge impact on the United States. I would have thought that the industrial revolution would have started in the United States or even in Japan since they are so advanced in technology, but it turns out the the U.S joined the industrial revolution after countries such as France. Keep up the good work!  congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Nice topic. I knew the United States also played a part in the Industrial Revolution but I didn’t know that the joined it after it had already started, I thought they were a part of it when it started. A lot of Americans were farmers; that is correct. The United States was definitely not as packed full of people back then as it is now. It is insane how large the amounts of people living in one city are now compared to back then. The population grew so fast in the United States. I realized it grew quickly but I hadn’t realized just how fast it had grown until you listed the numbers. I really like the way you included an image I feel it really added to the learning. I got a better understanding of how these objects looked and how different everything was back then compared to now. I wonder where we would be today without these advancements.
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum