Women's March to Versailles~ Diary Entry of Marie Antoinette

Go down

Women's March to Versailles~ Diary Entry of Marie Antoinette

Post  MercedesD99 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:36 pm

October 5, 1789
Dear Diary,

Yesterday afternoon, the King and I were in our bedroom chambers. We started hearing shouting and chanting from the window and it got louder with time. We didn't think much of it until it sounded as if whoever was making the noise was right outside of our palace. The King went to look what was happening. It turns out that there was an angry mob of women with cannons, swords, knives, and torches! The first thing I thought was, "those women are hardly women at all, quite unladylike to be handling a weapon."

I could hear distinctly what these women were chanting. They demanded to see the baker, his wife, and his son. It didn't make sense to me at all.

When the king came back I asked what the matter was. He told me that these women were here for bread. Bread? Why would they want OUR bread made by OUR baker? Some people are very greedy.

I'm rather appalled now as the press is portraying me in the wrong sense. They said that I had suggested, "Let them eat cake!" I do not know how they can even imagine I would give away my cake. They have their own after all.

The King gave away all of our bread anyway. He gave the women what they wanted. Which made them even more mad. I just cannot understand how someone could get mad after receiving what they desired! I mean, of course it was raining but they still got the bread!

I'm so glad I was not raised a greed.

~Marie Antoinette

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Women's March to Versailles~ Diary Entry of Marie Antoinette

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Nice topic Mercedes! I love how you added so much humour into your letter. I like how you described Marie Antoinette as an ignorant woman who really has no clue that people of her country are starving in the streets. The letter seemed very real at the same time! It is probably how they thought. Deep down inside, they knew that people were starving but they decided to move out of Paris, and create their own little world in the Palace of Versailles where everyone was happy! Good job, keep it up! I love you
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:03 pm

Nice topic. I really liked the way you posted this topic as if you were Mary Antoinette during the Women’s march to Versailles to get the bread. I like how you added the “Dear Diary” as if you had found a primary source, Mary Antoinette’s actual diary and had used it to make this post. I really believed you were back in that time where the mob of ladies was asking for bread and demanding to see the baker, the baker’s son and the baker’s wife, and how Mary Antoinette was saying that it was “unladylike” to be handling those weapons. I could actually imagine her saying or thinking or even writing a diary entry with something like that in it.
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 am

Wow great job, Mercedes! You did a great job at portraying the oblivious way that the queen and king lived. You foind a very humorous way to depict the ignorance and lack of involvement that the royal family had with their people.
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum