Young males as female roles in theatre

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Young males as female roles in theatre

Post  CicelyS on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 pm

In the olden days, during the Elizabethan Era, theatre was not as normal as it is today. Women were not allowed to take part in the plays, no matter how much they wanted to act. It was considered unethical and disgusting for a woman to act. This was because theaters were known for bringing along prostitutes and pimps when they moved from place to place and over time, whether or not theaters moved from place to place, it became normal for woman to simply be banned from acting. Because woman were not allowed to act, young males had to fill in the parts of the females. They used young males because their voices were not fully developed, along with their muscles. It was more convincing. You may know this from reading about or reading Shakespeare's plays/books.
CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Re: Young males as female roles in theatre

Post  Romane D. on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Thats a great topic cicely! I think that it must've been really hard for men to play the role of women because for example in English class, we were discussing how they didn't let women play in the Romeo and Juliet play; it would look really weird to see a men as a women. I also think that it wasn't fair because women should have the same rights as men.
Romane D.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Taylor Lee on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:16 am

Great topic Cicely. I do think it is interesting that men played female roles in the theatre. It must have been really awkward when the two characters had to kiss. Can you imagine that. LOL WOW!
Taylor Lee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  JasmineW on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:38 pm

It must have been hard for the guys to play the girl parts in theater because they would have to behave like a woman herself. Also, making it seem as if she actually looks like a woman can be hard for the makeup artists. They have to be great actors to really show us and make us believe that they are playing a female role.
JasmineW
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 9

Back to top Go down

:)

Post  Gloria H. on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 pm

i remember learning about this in English with Romeo and Juliet, women wearnt allowed to perfrom, men had to dress up as women.

Gloria H.
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  ronald L. on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:18 pm

I guess that back then theatre was very different from now in day. It kind of sounds unfair how only men could act and women didn’t have any rights. It also sounds funny how men had to dress up as women and act in women roles.

ronald L.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum