The Seven Ancient Wonders of the World

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Seven Ancient Wonders of the World

Post  CicelyS on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:57 pm

In World History, we are learning about the ancient world wonders. As you know, the pyramids of Giza are the oldest and last standing world wonder. Although we watched a documentary in class about what each of the wonders is, you still may be confused as to what they are.

The first ancient world wonder was The Great Pyramid of Giza. This was built from 2584-2561 Bc by the ancient Egyptians. It is still standing today, although it is a bit eroded. It is famous for it's mysteries about how it was built. Many tourists go to Egypt to see this pyramid.

The second ancient world wonder would be the Hanging Garden of Babylon. There is evidence that this was built or grown in 600 BC. It was built by Babylonians but destroyed right after the 1st century due to earthquakes in the area. If it were still standing, it would be in modern day Iraq. Their location has not been definitely established, and no evidence has been found that it were there.

The next wonder would be the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus. This wonder was rebuilt after its destruction. It was originally built in 550 BC but then again in 323 BC. It is also known as the Temple of Diana. It was a large building held up many columns. It has influenced many buildings nowadays. It was built by the Greeks in modern day Turkey. It's first destruction date was 356 BC because of arson by a man called Herostratus. The second date was 262 and it was destroyed due to plundering (steal goods from (a place or person), typically using force and in a time of war or civil disorder.) by the Goths.

The next was very clear in the documentary we watched. It is the statue of Zeus at Olympia. The statue its self was constructed in 466 BC and destroyed by disassembling it an setting fire to it in 5th-6th century. It would have been in modern day Olympia, Turkey.

The next is Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. This was built in 351 BC. It was a large and beautiful tomb. Unfortunately, it was destroyed in 1494 by earthquakes. Had it still been standing today, it would be in Bodrum, Turkey.

The second to last ancient world wonder is Colossus of Rhodes. Built by the Greeks in 292-280 BC, the large greek statue of Titan Helios was built to celebrate a victory over the ruer Cyprus. It was destroyed by an Earthquake not very long after it was built in 226 BC.

The last ancient world wonder was located in Egypt. It was the Lighthouse of Alexandria. It was built in 280 BC by Ptolemaic Egyptian Greeks. It was between 393 and 450 ft tall and it was the third longest surviving ancient wonder. It met its end in 1303 due to an earthquake, like so many other wonders.

I hope after reading this, you have a better understanding of the Seven Ancient Wonder of the World. Smile

CicelyS
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Seven Ancient Wonders of the World

Post  Taylor Lee on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Great topic Cicely. This is a lot of info. It is amazing on how ancient these "ancient wonders" really are and how the Pyramids are even still standing today. Cool
Taylor Lee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 12

Back to top Go down

Post  JasmineW on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:17 am

I have visited the Great Pyramid of Giza and it is a really amazing place. The way it is built is just amazing and the fact that it was manmade is truly incredible. It was the best thing I've ever seen and I'm still soo impressed by it. It a really great wonder.
JasmineW
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  lorenzo ch. on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:21 pm

i want to go see the amazing pyramid of giza all of the stories i have heard have got me really interested in to going there.

lorenzo ch.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 6

Back to top Go down

7 ancient wonders of the world

Post  frankiesmith28 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Wow! that was really interesting, I only knew about the Lighthouse and the pyramids, now I know a lot more! Smile I really liked all the description, that must have taken some time though you wrote quite a lot there! Wink
frankiesmith28
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum