The Discovery of Bermuda

Go down

The Discovery of Bermuda

Post  MercedesD99 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:44 pm

In 1505, Spanish captain Juan de Bermúdez discovered the small island. He claimed the apparently uninhabited islands for the Spanish Empire, however he never actually set foot on the land because it was too dangerous to try and sail over the treacherous reef surrounding the island. In 1609, two ships (the Mayflower and the Sea Venture) that were venturing to Jamestown crashed on the reefs during a brutal storm. Luckily the pilgrims on the ships were able to swim to shore with most of the supplies, but the ships didn’t survive. The passengers ended up building two smaller ships out of the shipwrecked remains to continue their voyage to Jamestown, Virginia. Some of the pilgrims stayed behind on the island while the others went to Jamestown to get more settlers and more supplies in order to be able to colonize it.

Fun facts:
-Bermuda was nick-named “Isle of Devils” due to the strange noises the settlers heard at night that they described as “demons.” But those noises were just wild boars and a nocturnal bird called the cahow or Bermuda Petrel.
-William Shakespeare’s The Tempest is said to be based on William Strachey’s account of the shipwreck. (Link: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/tempest/full.html)

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: The Discovery of Bermuda

Post  Dominique on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:17 pm

This was very interesting! The Bermuda Triangle could be a myth, it could be real. Some cartographers have even drawn the triangle in different locations on the map. It is said that it makes navigational equipment go wrong, maybe the triangle is creating some sort of magnetic field, this would explain why compasses go all weird in the triangle. Great job Mercedes!
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  laraschembrisant on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Thats so interesting! I never knew who colonized Bermuda. Its so weird that he never actually step foot on Bermuda, how could the Spanish, or why would they make it their colony if it wasnt theres to begin with, and they didnt even know what was there. Who knew if it was a myth like Dominique said. Good job! alien 

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Wahba on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 am

WOW mercedes. this is my favorite topic to reply about! it is very interesting to see all the facts about the bermuda triangle. all the legends there is about it is imense! Flight 19 was a flight that passed over it and completely dissapeared. there is even movies about the bermuda triangle such as Gullivers traveles. Smile keep it up mercedes!
Jordan Wahba
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  martinka64_Kate on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:54 am

A great topic! Bermuda triangle is a mysterious place, but I don't think that there is any magic there, because I am sure science can explain the facts that there are so many accidents happening.
martinka64_Kate
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  elena.scates on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:11 am

It's so interesting how in a way, something good came out of the shipwreck because they were able to discover new land. It probably wasn't very good for the natives though, as it always goes with conquered lands. I wouldn't of liked to be one of the men hearing the strange noises at night, that sounds pretty scary.
elena.scates
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat.B on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:12 am

That is a very interesting topic! I've got a question for you: in Russia people(at least the people who I used to talk to) have not the best opinion of life in the Bermudas. Not because of the people or anything, but because of the Bermuda Triangle. Did you observe anything mysterious? Do people(like fishers) dissapear?
Kat.B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 24

http://vk.com/idkissme98

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Nice blog topic! I wonder how scared the people were to go to Bermuda after it was called the Isle of the Devils. What strange noises did these humans hear at night on this island? How did people associate these sounds with wild boar and with the nocturnal bird called the Cahow or Bermuda Petrel? How can someone claim the land for themselves when they haven't even set foot on it? And why would someone want to claim a land that no one can set foot on? If people can barely set foot on it then how can they get off of it, before airplanes were created? And if the Spanish had claimed it but there were already English living there, wouldn't it be an English colony?
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

http://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:49 pm

Nice topic Mercedes. I have many friends that com from Bermuda, and from what I have heard, it seems like a very beautiful island. Nice beaches, white sand, palm trees, sort of like the Dominican! It is pretty freaky though how people called the Island of the Devils. Like Dominique mentioned, this story could be a myth! I would love to go there someday, keep up the good work Mercedes!  thumbs up
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum