Juan Ponce de León

Go down

Juan Ponce de León

Post  MercedesD99 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:10 pm

(1474-1521) He was a Spanish explorer, conquistador and the first Governor of Puerto Rico. According to legend, he discovered Florida – which he named, meaning “flowers” – while searching for the Fountain of Youth. The Fountain of Youth is a legendary spring that is supposed to restore the youth of anyone who drinks or bathes in its water. Stories of such fountains have been recounted across the world for thousands of years, appearing in writings by Herodotus, the Alexander romance, and the stories of Prester John. Stories of similar waters were also evidently common among the indigenous people of the Caribbean during the Age of Exploration, who spoke of the restorative powers of the water in the mythical land of Bimini. Although Ponce de León never actually discovered the Fountain of Youth, the stories that are told today all connect to the explorer.

Fun Fact:
The Fountain of Youth was also featured in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

Source(s): 1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Youth
              2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Ponce_de_Le%C3%B3n

MercedesD99
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Juan Ponce de León

Post  laraschembrisant on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 pm

The Caribbean during the Age of Exploration, was so famous that it was known by most europeans at the time. I find it so interesting that even though it was so famous not many explorers came. I never knew he was the governor of Puerto Rico. Thats so cool. Nice topic!

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Jordan Wahba on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

NIce topic mercedes. i found it interesting that it is just a legend that he discovered florida. did he ever find the fountain of youth. it is interesting that he called florida meaning flowers. i never knew that he was the gorvernor of puerto rico and that is very interesting. The founatin is also mentioned today for example the pirates of caribean is a very good fact. i wonder if people are still searching for that fountain!Idea 
Jordan Wahba
Apprentice
Apprentice

Student Rating : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Nice topic Mercedes! I'm a little confused why Florida was named after flowers, since he was looking for a fountain and not flowers. Before I knew that it was used in Pirates of the Caribbean, I imagined it pretty much the same way. Do you think people still believe in that myth, and are still looking for that fountain? Nice work, keep it up! congratulations
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya Luisa on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Nice topic Mercedes. I am from Florida and I didn't know it was named after flowers, I doubt any Crackers/Floridians know it is! I read a book once about the Fountain of Youth and how if you drank its water then you would remain forever young or something like that. We read it in English class about two years ago. I wonder how he died, do you know? Did he think he ever saw the Fountain of Youth?
Maya Luisa
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 21

https://www.facebook.com/maya.oberdieck

Back to top Go down

Post  simonvela on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 am

COol topic! I find it interesting that Juan Pance de leon tried to find the FOuntain of Youth in FLroida. This many was one of the first people to make it to the americas even before columbus.
simonvela
Research Assistant
Research Assistant

Student Rating : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominique on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Interesting topic Mercedes. It's really amazing to know where the name of Florida originated from. I watched two movies and read a book that were all about a fountain of youth, maybe it was somehow linked to this? I have the same question as Lou's; do you think that people still begin in this fountain of youth? Great job by the way!
Dominique
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  martinka64_Kate on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 pm

Great topic, I never knew where the name Florida came from. Definitely learned something interesting from reading this post!Very Happy 
martinka64_Kate
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  laraschembrisant on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 am

It is so interesting that he was looking for a fountain of youth in America, even though there wasnt any civilization. I dont quite understand why he named Florida after flowers though, but i find it interesting because i was born in florida, yet i dont know much about it.

laraschembrisant
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Lou Bouzonnet on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Nice topic Mercedes! I had never heard of Ponce de Leon before. I didn't know that Florida, stands for flower! In what language? It's crazy how people back then really believed in those stories, such as the Fountain of Youth. As you mentioned, there has been so many writings about these legends, and they are still told today. In fact, many people still believe in them. Nice work, keep it up!thumbs up
Lou Bouzonnet
Graduate
Graduate

Student Rating : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum